Fink Truss with supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of demolishing the upstairs walls in a friend's house before I rearrange all the bedrooms (Oh what fun!!!!).
I've just come across a random bit of block wall at one end of the house. It's not quite at the centre span of the attic trusses (about 200mm out) and is only 400mm into the room (from an external wall) and only has 2 of the trusses sat on it. The line of wall then continues across 3/4 of the house but is no-supporting timber stud-walls with 3 doorframes in it.
I've been up in the loft and cannot fathom out why this bit of wall was ever put there. The span of the fink (or W) trusses is 6.1m (20ft) and the block wall sits on a block wall that is on the ground floor.

Any ideas? Can it be removed?

Sponsored Links
So its a fink truss and not a attic truss ?

As long as the node point doesnt fall over where the block wall lands it wouldnt of been used as a support. And certainly not for 2 trusses.

Besides all of that, 6.1mt span is nothing for a fink pattern truss.

cannot fathom out why this bit of wall was ever put there.

It is possible it could be a short 'shear wall'. These do not necessarily carry any vertical load but are intended to ensure lateral stability of the wall under wind load. I should think carefully before removing it; it's unlikely the builders would have put it there for no reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back