Fire at home and more smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening, we had a fire in a bedroom in our house last night which was only just put out with 4 extinguishers( 2kg co2, 6l foam which failed, 9l water and a 9kg powder) .

The fire started in a bedroom from a Dehumidifier, the door was closed so the maines wired smoke in the landing took a while to detect it before lots of damage happened. Opening the door to a raging fireball was rather traumatic to say the least. But we got it out, fire department would Have taken 30 mins to come as we are rural. So happy to save the house.

My question is, we have 3 mains wired smokes in the new part of our cottage, none of which are in the bedrooms. We also have little in the way of smokes in the old part of the house. Can the mains wired smokes be connected to wireless smokes in say bedrooms and in the old part of the house. Rather not rip down walls and ceilingto fit mains powered to the other rooms. We have a Texecom Premier elite alarm system in the house also, is that a better option To go with wireless smokes? Many thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Look at the aico range of smoke alarms. You can create an interlinked system via a combination of hard wire and wireless bases.

Hello,

Agreed, have a look at the Aico smoke alarm range. With their RadioLINK capability it will allow all devices to be linked together wireless. This can also be a range of battery or mains powered detector, and from Fire Trade Supplies i usually get the detectors delviery either next day or 2 working days.

I worked with a company who had contracts with housing associations and whenever i was unsure i called them up, got the advice and they ordered. it might be worth having a look at

Sponsored Links
May I ask which dehumidifier brand it was please, we use our Ebac a lot to dry clothes. Sorry to hear of your trauma

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back