Fire Door and Frame Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to everybody on the forum .I have a question that hopefully one of you can give me an answer .I need to fit a fire door at the bottom of my staicase , which leads to the loft extension ,no size is stipulated on the building regs plans .The width of the stairwell is thirty three inches , one side being load bearing , plaster finished ,original brickwork .The other being stud partition with half inch plasterboard .What width fire door would you suggest to fit into the stairwell , taking into account door casing width and architrave .Thanks in anticipation of any usefull replies , Mike

Sponsored Links
a 2"- 6" fire door frame will need an opening size of 33 & 1/4" or 844mm.

your parameters are very close. :eek:

as nose-all has said but if its tight you could always plane down the door frame to make sure it goes in.

Thanks for the prompt replies to my question .Another query , would it be possible to fit a smaller width fire door?

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is a minimum width but in reality I don't think you can buy a fire door (you need to buy one with a sticker on or similar) smaller than 610mm (24") so I think that may answer your question. Although you can get fire door blanks which you cut down to suit from Howdens (if you know someone with an account) so you could go smaller in theory. Any smaller would be a little impractical I would think though. I think you'll have to phone building control for a definitive answer.

Thanks again for prompt reply to my query , I do indeed already have an account with Howdens , where today I have obtained aforementioned fire door. Slight struggle getting it into the van , even more difficult carrying the lump up the existing stairwell! Have decided to go with a 30 inch wide door , as it seems inapprpriate to reduce the new stairwell dimension by fitting a smaller width door.I also contacted L.B.C.O. and he appears satisfied with my decision . I will keep you posted as to the outcome of this decision , ie , when the door is actually installed , and any issues that may arise , thanks again for all of your help , Mike .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back