Fire door trimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive bought some jeld wen 35mm doors and I'm retro fitting them to my existing frames...

I've now realised they're too tall. The 1981 doors need to fit into a 1955 high space...

Can I remove almost 3cm off the door and repair/reglie the tops and bottoms while retaining the fire door integrity?

The idea was to save on replacing door frames and the damage/repair/redecoration that will entail.. but I might be ending up in the same place...

Sponsored Links
is it a solid fire door,or 1 that when cut looks like stuck together muesli?
if its totally solid then yes probably,if not then its up to you.

if you really want to be safe then obtain a door blank.BUT bear in mind you will be wasting a lot of it.

Fire doors usually come with specific instructions on how much they can be trimmed, or talk to jeld wen.

Lot's of doors have composite cores and solid edging, so you can only remove X amount.

X varies depending on the particular door.

Sponsored Links
Envirograf seems to say with their materials any door can be made a fire door, so I believe reinstating fire protection should be fine even if trimming more than recommended

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back