Internal fire doors wider than existing opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am at the stage of fitting fire doors to all rooms opening onto landing and hallway as part of my loft conversion.

I am looking at these doors:
http://www.howdens.com/pdf/product/1232.pdf

However, my existing openings are narrower than the doors. The doors are 762mm, and can be trimmed down by 8mm (4 each side). But my openings are 742mm, 750mm, 740mm.

The reason for these doors is they have the intumecent strip built in already, are 35mm deep do can use existing linings.

However the width is an issue. Can anyone suggest a way forward here? will I have to get doors without the strip, and then router in a slot?

I can use doors deeper than 35mm as the door stops can be moved back on the casings.

Thanks

Tatsky

Sponsored Links
think you may have to buy some solid door blanks and lip pings and cut/plane down to fit,then router out for the fire strips.

how determined are you not to fit new linings? they aren't expensive, and can be had with grooves for the intumescent strips (or better, strips with brush smoke seals)

firee doors are very heavy so new linings may be better. You can seal them in with expanding fireproof foam to block smoke, draughts and noise. You can also fix them firm, level and upright.

It is also much easier to paint a new lining to a good standard to match your new door.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

I am not to keen on fitting new linings due to the disruption this would cause. We are at the final stages of the project, everything has been plastered and decorated and the last job is to replace the doors. I had assumed, wrongly, that I could just trim the doors to fit, as has been done with the current doors. So that's my issue for not having the foresight to work this all out ahead.

Standard doors are 762mm, and my smallest opening is 740, so we are talking 22mm in it. By the time you allow a 2mm gap all around it's 18mm. However, I can only trim 8mm off a standard FD30 door.

I have had one idea, which would be to go for the next door down, which is 711mm, and pad out my door lining. So for example 740 - 711 leaves 29mm gap. Take off 4mm for a 2mm gap around door and I am looking for 25mm. I could stitch a 25mm thick timber to the inside of the door lining, and then move the architrave on that side in 25mm to match it up. This would give me a standard opening.

Is this a daft idea?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Or you could ask Mr Building Control if he would be prepared to accept an upgrade be applied to the relevant doors? Not all doors are suitable and not all inspectors will accpet them however. Not cheap either but could work out cheaper than new doors + linings :?: eg https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_...pw.r_qf.&fp=b566ea27a82450a4&biw=1297&bih=820

Alternatively some inspectors will accept addition linked smoke detectors in habitable rooms and no upgrade of the doors.

My current doors are really crappy 6 panel doors, you know the ones with fibre board shell and a couple of sticks of timber inside? They are hollow. i think they are the sort of standard internal door you get from B&Q etc.

These can't be upgraded can they?

you can fit new ones

I am especially fond of 6-panel moulded fire doors, as they are strong and solid, and feel substantial, so they blot sound out.

However they are heavy, and a bit thicker, and normally need three substantial hinges. Sometimes it is worth fitting a new door lining (frame) at the same time.

A professional joner will do a better, and much quicker, job of fitting them.

I don't like the ones with a fake woodgrain texture.

for example http://www.wickes.co.uk/woburn-smooth-fire-door-1981x762mm/invt/190913/

p.s. TatskyPT
What are you paying at Howdens? The ones at Wickes are made by Premdoor and the price moves around. I see your Howdens one is only 35mm thick, but the Wickes one is 44mm

Thanks for the advice guys

JohnD - I will be fitting new hinges (3 per door) as you suggest. Whatever route I go down, I will need to remove the architrace, so I will do that on one of the doors, and see how substantial a job it will be to remove the lining and put in a new one.

I don't have a price from Howdens yet, but 35mm Door is off the cards. That is substantially more expensive than 44mm door. I am able to use the thicker door.

FreddyMercurysTwin - I will have a word with the BCO to see what we can do. I have a feeling though that because I am more than able to replace the doors (and the current ones aren't features of the house) they will lean towards replacing. But I will ask. BTW, It would have been Freddys birthday today ;)

I am looking forward to having some good, substantial doors fitted. I like the sound of the sound deadening aspect they may bring. 2 Young kids in the house, i need all the sound deadening I can get :)

it's worth using lift-off hinges. Those FD30 doors are very heavy.

You can use fire-resisting expanding foam between the liner and the wall to block any gaps that let noise, dust or smoke through. As long as you remove any dust first and dampen the surfaces, it will also grip the lining tightly to the wall and prevent any looseness or movement when your daughter slams the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back