Fire doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Should a fire door have 2 or 3 hinges. What do the building regulations state.

Thanks you

Sponsored Links
I don't know that there is a regulation, but mine are very heavy and are hung on three (or "a pair and a half") which seems usual. It is a lot easier to get them on and off if you use lift-off hinges.

I did see some solid hardwood firedoors being hung, thicker than mine and incredibly expensive, with four hinges, in a prestige office built to impress. I chatted to the chippy, who tried to explain to me why the hinges were spaced seemingly unequally.

i always thought to abide by regulations a 44mm fire door must have 3 butts fitted,unless there bigger then the normal 4"variety.

Sponsored Links
Fact: there is no specific regulation that states whether two or three hinges are required. Two may be adequate if appropriate, if not three, again assuming they are adequate. It depends on the hinge specification. One assumes the OP’s choice of hinge complies ….

At the moment the 44mm fire doors are hung on 2 fire hinges. Local authorities building surveyor say I need to have 3 to stop in warping. I don't want to go out and spend the extra money in buying and getting someone to fit them. That's why I want to know, what are the regulations are and is their a link to support I can get away with the 2 hinges.

Thank you

It might depend on the number used in the doorset when it was certified, in which case that will be what needs to be used on installation.

Otherwise, it depends on the door (weight) and the use of that door (frequency) above anything else.

It might depend on the number used in the doorset when it was certified, in which case that will be what needs to be used on installation.

Can you explain more numbers used?

Downstairs have 3 hinges fitted as regular use. 2 hinges fitted to bedroom.

You would need to look at BS EN 1935: 2002: Building Hardware but interpreting a BS is easier said than done.

Do you have anything to support this please

Yes, the doors won't be heavy enough, the linings won't be thick enough and the usage won't be regular enough to require a third hinge.

Non of this relates to the door as a fire door though, just to the door as a door.

The bathroom door is more likely to need a middle hinge for humidity reasons, and the front/ready door for security.

Yes, the doors won't be heavy enough, the linings won't be thick enough and the usage won't be regular enough to require a third hinge.

Non of this relates to the door as a fire door though, just to the door as a door.

The bathroom door is more likely to need a middle hinge for humidity reasons, and the front/ready door for security.
But none of that will cut the mustard with Mr BC though will it. The OP needs to study the BS otherwise Mr BC will just insist on what he's seen done on every job before him and never been challenged on probably. Rightly or wrongly it will be for the OP to prove only two are required if indeed only two are adequate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back