Hmo fire door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a hmo inspection of a property I wish to let and have been told that my boiler door needs to be upgraded. It looks like the door needs 3 hinges, 2 vents and fire seals amongst other things. My question is - is intumescent paint a good idea and do vents need fire seals of some sort too? The door at present is not fire rated and is 35mm thick. Please offer ideas on the best way to the job and get around this reg. Im in Scotland for reference. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
True that Bernard hence why I asked on the best way to do the job. Any useful wisdom on offer?

Intumescent seals around the door edge might be acceptable. But they can make the door difficult if not impossible to open hence they should not be used on doors that may have to be opened to provide an escape route.

Difficult to understand the vents. The idea of a fire door is prevent both flames and fumes spreading. Vents that close automatically when they sense hot air should be OK but positioning ( height ) in the door would need to be thought about to ensure they closed early rather late. ( cold air at floor level in the early stages of a fire ).

Your local council should be able to advise on wht athey consider is necessary. Another often useful source of advice is the Fire Prevention Officer at the local Fire Brigade HQ

Sponsored Links
Presumably the vents will be for ventilaltion of the boiler room as may be required under gas safety regulations. But whether the assessor is qualified to state that, is another matter.

You can fit intumescent vents, but that means altering a fire door, which in turn means that it is potentially no longer certifiable as a fire door.

Considering that a boiler can sit happily in a kitchen, bedroom or bathroom without fire protection, it seems like you have had a nonsense assessment.

On a related issue, a fire in a boiler room is not going to be contained by a fire door once the thing blows up.

"hmo inspection of a property" :rolleyes:

[been told that] my boiler door needs to be upgraded :whistle:

Are you guessing that it was a local authority inspector?

Do you suppose that such a person would have access to a document of requirements and perhaps even "deemed to satisfy" specifications? Why are we guessing what the authority requires?

Not quite understanding this, are you saying this is a regular boiler in it's own compartment or is the boiler contained in a room if so which room.
Not sure if the HMO regs are different in Scotland but in England all habitable rooms and kitchens need fire doors in an HMO and non habitable rooms the same if they contain a boiler. Whether the boiler compartment or room needs venting will be specified by the manufacturer and would be in relation to the efficient working of the boiler and not within the remit of the HMO requirement for fire safety.
HMO inspectors are notoriously inconsistent.

hahaha,

never heard this before. id question where he read such tosh..

Maybe he needs you to satisfy CO requirements, but you could do that with a CO alarm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back