Fire lintel...such a thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m very competent in my own work, but as it’s down to structural I just need some sound advise on a matter that suddenly opened up.

I’m just about to raise the lintel on the chimney ready for a new hole in the wall type fire, as the fire is also slightly wider and seeing as the lintel has to be moved I thought I would just get a quick quote on a new one, from a place called Elliots, and they quoted 525 for one 1500mm in length! (and I did check, that was the price for one…it must fit itself)

But on looking at wickes all the steel renforced concrete lintels are under a tenner!

Am I missing something?

Do I need a ‘special fire proofed/safe’ lintel? I thought all of tem are the same?

My plan is to fit a new lintel at the new desired height and then to knock away all the brickwork and old lintel.

As for structural, the house is a supporting building at the end of a row and leans to one side, what I’m trying to say is it doesn’t lean towards the fire opening.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
a fire lintel is made the same way as a concrete lintel apart from the fact that it skews back at an angle to allow the smoke to flow unobstructed to the chimney, as long as there's nothing smoking in the fireplace you'll be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back