Fire Place

M

Milo19

Hi.

I have a gas fire in my lounge with an internal chimney. When I moved in i had some work done to the central heating and I had the engineer look at the fire with a view to servicing it to make sure it was safe.

He said it was not vented properly at the back of the fire and Carbon monoxide may leak out.

I was always thinking about removing it anyway, bricking it up and having an electric fire hung on the wall.

Do I have to vent the chimney stack? Or can I simply remove the fire, brick it up and then plaster over?

Sponsored Links
Its got one of those ceramic cap things on the top, so when I brick it up I need to put a air vent in it somewhere....this will vent in to the lounge...is that right?

Yes, that's right. They are normally built in when you brick up the opening, but if that is too unsightly you could put one on the outside at the bottom.
Or perhaps even vented through the bottom of the existing fireplace opening to the space below the floor, if you have a suspended floor that is.

All depends how much work you want to put in to it, and the existing fireplace construction.

Sponsored Links
The house is a staggered property so the chimney is an internal one.

The stack goes up through one of the bedrooms with a cupboard next to it that houses the boiler. Could I put a vent in here rather than vent into the lounge?

Or does the vent need to be at the bottom of the chimney?

Would it be better to get up on the roof, remove the pot and cap it completely using a slab and then fit an air brick at the top (just under the slab) and then I could fit one at the bottom in the lounge and not worry about cold air coming in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back