Fire places and ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope its a simple one
I live in an early 1900 terraced house the Living room and dinning room both have Gas fires fitted and the two bedrooms above have the fireplaces boarded off with no ventilation. I have double glazing and central heating.
Is it advisable to fit ventilation to the blocked off fireplace or not and if so will it help with condensation in on of the rooms upstairs
cheers Dave

Sponsored Links
hi daved1,
putting a 100cm2 vent in the chimney breast will help the natural circulation of the room provided that the chimney is vented ( I've never had a chimney pot that was completely sealed up). Introducing air circulation into the upstairs rooms will help with the condensation.
u say u have central heating, as this is a dry form of heat it is worth investigating the source of the moisture that is condensing. tumble dryers are a menace for this especially if they dont vent to the outside.

cheers for the reply smarty.
I think that the pots are still open and the source of moisture could be shower, steam iron (a lot of steam is generated) the drier is vented to the outside.
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back