Fire proofing boiler room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We are having a new boiler fitted at my place of work and at present we have Asbestos cement sheets fireproofing the room (it's a large under stairs room). These are going to come out and a new form of fireproofing is required.
Any ideas what the best form of fireproof sheeting would be and would we get a builder / joiner / carpenter/ handyman to fit them?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
As it's a place of work, I would say that you need more "professional" advice beyond a DIY forum.

Your insurance company for one, would probably be rather annoyed if something happened and you pointed to a post here as your inspiration for whatever work occurred!

I have consulted with the insurance company and the company architect. They only stipulated that it has to be 3 hour fire proof compliant with a new fire door and fire door frame.

Sponsored Links
Your local council Building Control section might be your friend here. Google fireproof sheets- there's loads & they don't look stupidly expensive- then chippie or general builder to do any framing

Your local council Building Control section might be your friend here. Google fireproof sheets- there's loads & they don't look stupidly expensive- then chippie or general builder to do any framing
The only problem is that B Regs does not require 3hr fire protection, I suspect the reason for 3hr is the insurance co protecting the property, B Regs is only to cover health and safety and not protection of property, max fire resistance referred to in the approved doc is 120mins but thats to fire fighting shafts

Do they even make 3hr f.r. doors?
I believe there are steel ones, up till '86 B regs had 4hr FR to some compartment walls, these were dropped following a revue of the regs as they protected property rather than people. Insurance Co's will no doubt specify much higher periods so products and systems will be available.

Its a Medieval building that holds events with roof beams from 1406 , grade one listed

I think they have decided on Supalux Promat Fire Board with intamescent Promaseal acrylic sealant for the board joints.

We are going to use a commercial building firm that has experience in this sort of work.

Thanks for all the replies. Very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back