Fire Rated Lights Needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm thinking of changing the downlights in my utility room. I've hated them since the spark installed them, but I don't spend much time in there, so what the heck. They're 50W halogens and the bulbs are becoming more tiresome to source so perhaps when they blow again, I'll swap them for round LED panel.

When I had a fiddle, I noticed they were fire rated. Is that a requirement (Scottish regs apply), or did he fit what he had in his van? If it helps add context, I've a study directly above the utility room.

Sponsored Links
I doubt that the ceiling is a fire barrier?
If not, then fire-rated fittings are not necessary.

You can probably fit whatever you want.
More importantly is if the existing lamps are mains or ELV (typically) 12volt

Sponsored Links
Single skin grey plasterboard, so not a fire barrier.
I know nothing of Scottish regulations but, in England, it's not the material of the ceiling which determines whether it is (should be!) a fire barrier but, rather, whether what is it is part of your house (or your roofspace, or a different dwelling/flat.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back