Fire regs and boiler flues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I visited a customer's home today. She purchased a two story maisonette (first and second floor).

She converted the property into two single story flats.

Her builder was a tad fly by night and did a number of things incorrectly.

Today, she asked me if the following is legal.

flue.jpg

The above is the boiler in the first floor flat.

She was wondering if there should be some kind of fire protection shroud around the flue to prevent any fire travelling to the flat above.

I told her that I am out of my depth but that I would defer to more knowledgeable people on this site.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
One issue can the flue be inspected along it’s route

I suspect that the hatch to the side of it is there for that purpose.

The customer is more concerned that building regs will flag the size of the flue cut out- AFAIK- it is bigger than the limits allowed for intumescent foam.

Yes, there’s should be a fire stop in place, what about some plasterboard and skim, or a metal clamp?

Sponsored Links
Yes, there’s should be a fire stop in place, what about some plasterboard and skim, or a metal clamp?

Thanks.

Which kind of metal clamp? If you mean a clamped collar/donut, it would need to be pretty wide, so much so that it would obstruct the inspection hatch to the left of it.

And if not a metal clamp, would it be acceptable to scribe a small section of plasterboard around it? The plasterboard will need to be in two sections- can the meeting edges be "glued" together using intumescent foam and then painted over with intumescent paint rather than plaster?

I have the skill set to do the physical work but have no idea what the legal requirements are. I do not want to charge someone to provide an aesthetically pleasing finish but one that does not tick the (legally required) boxes.

Cheers

There should be a suitable seal, or a 60 minute intumescent collar, to maintain the compartmentation of the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back