Fire Surround spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm soon to get a new fire surround which has built in spotlights, I assume they will come with flex.

I'm wondering what the best way of wiring them up will be, I still want to be able to take the surround off for decorating so would prefer not to have to unwire it for that.

The fire itself is electric, fed from a FSU next to the surround so I'm thinking of adding a hidden socket (probably a 5A round pin) behind one of the sides of the surround itself and plugging it in to this. The socket will also be fed from the FSU. Assuming the Amps for the lights + the fire aren't too much for the FSU (13Amp) and there is enough space behind the surround for the socket+plug is this a reasonable way of doing it?

What approach do people normally take?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Difficult to know exactly without the more product info. There should be instructions for installing it, I can't see why a 5 amp round pin can't be used unless the rating or the lights is very high which is unlikely, making it neat and unnoticeable may be hard.

Can you not perhaps use some conduit chased in to make it easier to remove and use an FCU for the lights - you won't afterall be decorating on a regular basis will you?

Shouldn't be too hot, it's behind one of the wooden sides, I'll just have to wait and see when it arrives, maybe they leave some space behind there for the connection.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will the plug & socket ne accessible?
You must not use screwed connections if it cannot be got at later on. That may mean that the plug & socket idea is not practical.

Will the plug & socket ne accessible?
You must not use screwed connections if it cannot be got at later on. That may mean that the plug & socket idea is not practical.

The current surround just lifts off the wall, there is space behind it. I'm assuming I'll be able to have a similar arrangement with the new one.

Other alternative is I hard wire it to the FSU next to the surround into which the fire is currently wired and have to disconnect it if I need to take the surround off.

This is what I ended up doing, the isolator was already there with the fire wired into it, I disconnected the fire and put a socket on its side behind one of the sides (there's plenty of room behind there). Then put a plug on the fire and also the spots came with a 3Amp plug anyway. Ran it all for an hour on full blast, the plugs, cables and pins didn't get noticibly warm so I think it's all ok. The fire is 2060 Watts so 8.95Amps. Just a bit of tidying upto do now :)

View media item 57294 View media item 57295 View media item 57296

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back