Fireangel mains smoke alarm wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Wiring in a series of Fireangel smoke alarms using 3 core plus earth.
The system wiring diagram says I connect L,N,I (grey wire to comminucate between different units), and Earth.
There is a three wired connector cable which connects into the unit itself.

By my logic, there's no issue with just connecting the provided 3 core (no earth) into the fire alarm circuit, with a connector for each of the three wires to mains, cable for alarm, mains on to the next unit.

The reason I am just a little unsure is that if I mount the alarm in a separate mount, (necessary in a few places because we have vaulted ceilings and i'm mounting them on a beam, and have no void above), I have to wire the mount in using both the from and two mains cables.

I hope this is clear.

Attachments

• Alarm-Wiring.jpg
    Alarm-Wiring.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
I think the earth/cpc needs to be ran to it just doesn’t have to be connected

I think the earth/cpc needs to be ran to it just doesn’t have to be connected

Not sure I agree with this.

230v systems need a continuous CPC. Most decent alarms have a cpc point to connect the earths

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Not sure what you are on about ? Just buy a deep base that comes with a connection for the 3 core and earth

Attachments

• IMG_5949.png
    IMG_5949.png
    459.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Not sure I agree with this.

230v systems need a continuous CPC. Most decent alarms have a cpc point to connect the earths
Apologies. I was trying to mean it still needs to be there somehow, but if no connection point then it would need to be terminated into a connector block

The reason I am just a little unsure is that if I mount the alarm in a separate mount, (necessary in a few places because we have vaulted ceilings and i'm mounting them on a beam, and have no void above), I have to wire the mount in using both the from and two mains cables.
Are you tring to avoid more that one cable to the detector for aesthetics? You could star connect at a point where the number of cables is not seen? or arrange that those mounted on beams are at the end of a run

Not sure what you are on about ? Just buy a deep base that comes with a connection for the 3 core and earth
Hi. Yes, I have standard add-on bases, with 3 core and earth connectors, for the alarms mounted on beams on the vaulted roof.
With them, you terminate the 3+E cables into a block, screw the base on the beam, and the alarm clicks into place, with three pins.
(Which adds a lot to the bill, and Fireangel don't really point this out).

These aren't the issue.
With the standard alarm there's a flat ceiling mounted plate which the alarm clicks into, and a 3 pin plug which fits into the alarm.
(The three pin plug is embedded on the addon ceiling mounting I'm using on the beam).

On the add-on base, the 3 core + earth wire into the base, but the earth just joins into a null screw, basically, I suppose, to make sure the earth wires connect around the circuit.

SO my question is this.
If I'm not using the add-on socket, is it OK to just join the earth wires, and use star connects like Deryck says?
I think I may be overthinking this just a bit.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back