Fireclay sink (IKEA -Domsjo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong section, but beginner here!

We are (trying) to build a house in Crete, whilst living here, two years and counting! - had a kitchen shipped over from IKEA UK (amongst a load of other stuff, still cheaper with shipping than buying here!). All arrived last summer, checked all goods and all OK... or so we thought! Steve just installing the sink (double bowl) only to discover last night that there is a crack running from middle top of left bowl across to halfway down right hand bowl :( Before I go and order another (which has increased in price considerably + shipping) a) could it be used as it is? b) can we repair it? Apart from a bit of a small dint on top of left bowl the crack is hairline (rough raised area in one small part about 4cm on base of r/h bowl). Does not appear to be cracked right through - so could it be salvaged???

Thank you for your advice - Carol

Sponsored Links
Send it back at their expense. For a new replacement. IKEA for me are awful. Light fittings blowing up, lack of sales experience, eat meatballs, go on a treadmill, through the shop, lug your furniture from the shelves yourselves.

Almost as bad as Argos, pick your item, hand the order in, then wait in line for your order, like you won at Bingo. Yay the person lost that ordered a pack of batteries, and a wireless mouse, I ordered a bathmat, and a toilet scrubber.

Thank you Mickymoody - but easier said than done - this was shipped over to Crete well over a year ago... so I think any guarantee would be out of date and as we did not check the sink thoroughly on delivery (our fault) we can't claim on our shipping insurance... anyway have bitten the bullet now and ordered a new one! Have to say up till now have always been happy with IKEA goods - and we had a whole kitchen shipped out! And, we have more coming........ bedroom items etc.. Here's hoping.

regards Carol

Sorry to hear that happened, Carol. That's just IKEA for you! Their products are cheap and simple, but unfortunately, the quality is sometimes poor.

I'd call IKEA and ship it back (demand it be at THEIR expense, not yours) and ask for a new one.

Best of luck building your home in Crete, it's a very beautiful place!

Sponsored Links
You can state to the company, the circumstances, that the items have been in storage, and not discovered until now.

It's like buying someone a Xmas gift, you buy it, it's wrapped up, then the fault is discovered on the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back