FireDex 2202 Bi Wire - Rubish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

After 11 months in the industry and some new panels installed and some quite old ones serviced now have come across this Firedex 2202 Bi Wire.

When I thought I had seen them all, this comes along, and worst of it was that, no disrespect to electricians as I am one myself, I just went the fire alarm industry after qualifying, it was installed by an electrician.

The issues I have found with the system was as follow;
  • EOL resistors at the panel and not at the end of the each circuit.
  • One SD in the loft missing.
  • Some bases with diode missing.
  • Out of 4 MCP's none of them trigger the alarm. When tested they put the panel into fault mode
I have opened on MCP to check it and it's just or it looks just as a normal MCP where we have 2x pos and 2x neg terminals with 680R written on the pos side terminals.

Now I understand that my knowledge is yet very limited but what can be happening here to send the panel into fault when testing the MCPs?

I am tempted to say they must be the wrong type as all 4 do the exact same thing?!!! When I asked the owner for previous test/servicing reports he couldn't produce one and when I asked if he'd ever hear the sounders go when system was previously serviced he replied no.

I can't take this and ask my work colleagues as this is a job on the side for a friend. To anyone worried about possible neglect or causing harm by leaving system unfit for purpose should rest assured, I am fully insured (£429.00 public liability "£2m", personal indemnity, efficacy and some other rubbish I can't think of). Reason I have all this? I work as sub-contractor on a self-employed basis.

As the business premises are that of a restaurant in the ground floor and 5 rooms above with a shared kitchen (HMO), with no detectors installed, I have advised my friend to spend a bit more but get a newer system in place, even if it's a 2 wire, we can use the existing wiring, pending check to see if no detector has been spurred off as some spark's like to do, and just go for a nice Kentec 2 wire AlarmSense, so much better than this Firedex rubbish.

Many thanks in advance for the help everybody provides here in the forum.

Kind regards,
Albert (Middle name)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back