Firefox Bookmarks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In IE you can simply open up c: settings etc and copy your favourites file and paste it on a thumb drive for back up..

I cant seem to suss this out on FF though..ive tried bookmarks-organise bookmarks-bookmarks menu-import and back up-export...........exported to a folder on my desktop but all I have is a explorer type file with what looks like hyperlinks in it

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Firefox exports it's bookmarks as an .html file..you can stick this file on a memory stick and just drop it into firefox or explorer as and when you need to see bookmarks,

Zampa,
Foxmarks is a very handy Add-on for Firefox.
http://www.foxmarks.com/
It syncs your bookmarks with a copy saved on the web, and resyncs everytime you add a new Bookmark URL.
Once setup there is nothing else to do, if you have set it to automatically update at Firefox close. It just updates when you click to close FF.
You can access this web-based list from any computer using your password and so can access favourite websites from any computer with Firefox installed.

Firefox also sets up a profile automatically:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles
If you remove FF for reason of corruption and install a new version, your profile is still intact and will set all your toolbars, bookmarks etc back to what they were before the uninstall. You don't have to do anything.

dave

Sponsored Links
Zampa,
Just read your post in the M$ Update and ZoneAlarm Thread.
What problems are you having with ZoneAlarm and Firefox?
Might as well try to sort it in this thread as it is your thread.

dave

Hello dave

Thanks for the help..so far I have downloaded the bookmark thing..

Pages were hanging and not not loading when I first booted the computer up..ie when zonealarm loaded etc..

The only way I could overcome this was by switching Z/A off..they the pages that were hanging would fire immediatly

I havesince wiped Z/A and re-installed it..everyone is ok now (at the moment)

The biggest problem I have is bookmarked sites/pages that have a password..such as this site..I have 'remembered' the password but I still have to use the 'log in' button...I cant use the 'remember me' facility on here on any other sites..

Is there something I can do?

Thanks

It sounds like the cookies are getting wiped at shutdown.

Open Firefox, - Tools -> Options -> Privacy Tab.
In the Cookies box:
Ensure that 'Accept Cookies' is ticked. And Accept Third Party Cookies is also ticked.
In the Private Data box:
Tick 'Always clear my private data when closing FF'.
Then click Settings and ensure all the boxes are ticked EXCEPT Cookies and Saved Passwords.

That should, after you next log on to every site, save you logging on again.
Firefox 3 has a small popup just under the tab bar that appears when you go to log in to a site, offering to remember the password and username. Look for it because it does not make a noise when it appears, and click OK.

dave

Just a thought but do have and run Ccleaner on your computer?

thanks dave..while I was doing that I noticed the setting for 'keep until' was fixed on 'I close FF'...I have also changed this to 'they expire' to see it that makes a difference too.

I havnt got Ccleaner...is it like a cookie clean up utility?

That will have been the culprit for getting rid of the cookies.

I havnt got Ccleaner...is it like a cookie clean up utility?

It is a Registry and System cleaner. The reason I asked was that it will clear out ALL the cookies if the settings are not set correctly, resulting in the symptoms that you were having of having to log in everytime you visited a site.

I use it about once or twice a week to clear out tempoary files and leftovers from uninstalling software.
Ccleaner.
Download and install from: Ccleaner
Tutorial Video at: Using Ccleaner

New to Ccleaner? Check out the Ccleaner’s Beginners Guide

You can also visit the Ccleaner Tour

This is the way I have it set up and, once done, it only takes a few clicks to clean the registry and then the system. I wrote these instructions for another web site:

Ccleaner.
Initial Setup and Operation.

After initial setup, all settings will be saved and only the Instructions In Bold Underline need be
carried out to run Ccleaner on a regular basis

Options -> Cookies
Transfer all the cookies that you recognise and use to the righthand column. (This only needs to be done
once OR prior to cleaning when you have visited new sites that may have lodged cookies for sign-in
purposes).

Options -> Settings
Tick -> Auto check for updates
Dot -> Normal File Deletion ( You can change this if you want to over write the deleted files for securer
deletion)

Options -> Advanced
Tick -> Only delete files in Temp. . . older that 48 hours.
Tick -> Show promt to backup.
Untick -> All other Options.

Tools -> Uninstaller
Handy for uninstalling and also if you have uninstalled using Add/Remove but the name remains in the list, click it in this list and click Delete Entry.

Tools -> Startup
Saves going into Start-Run-msconfig to remove some thing from the startup list.

Cleaner -> Windows Tab
Tick IE to put a tick in all, then Untick Autocomplete form history
Tick Win Explorer to put a tick in all.
Tick System to put a tick in all, then Untick Clipboard, Start Menu Shortcuts & Desktop
Shortcuts.
Leave Advanced unticked.

Cleaner -> Application Tab
Tick All Boxes except Saved Form Information if there is a non-IE browser section.

With all browsers shut down click Analyze.
When complete, click Run Cleaner, the Are You Sure screen will popup, click OK

Click Registry, Tick Registry Integrity to put a tick in all boxes in the list.
Click Scan For Issues
When complete, click Fix Selected Issues.
The offer to Backup will show, click Yes.
It will offer to save in My Documents, click Save.
Then click Fix All Selected Issues, OK.
Then Close.

You can delete the backups from My Documents after a few days of using the computer with no problems.
If you plan to use it, then print off these instructions for ease of setting it up.

dave

Cheers for all that Dave..

If I read that correctly, your saying that by running that programme it could have caused the problems I was having?

I havnt got anything like that though and when I logged on again I still had to log on manually to sites I had hit the 'remember me' box to...it still doesnt seem to want to remember the sites.

On thing I have just noticed though..I have just run 'advnaced windows care' and I didnt have half the problems I have had in the past..so thats a welcome change.

Zampa,
The reason I asked about Ccleaner was because if the settings are wrong, it will delete all the cookies when run but as you don't have it at the moment, that is ruled out.

After being logged on to this site, do not log off just close the browser.
Start Firefox again, and select Tools -> Options and in the Privacy Tab,
Look in the Cookies box that both boxes are ticked and the 'Keep until' is set at 'until they expire'.
Then click 'Show Cookies' and see if DIYnot is in the list.
If not, click Exceptions and see if it is in the Blocked list. If it is this list, click it and click Remove.

In the Private Data box tick the Always remove when I close Firefox.
Click Settings and ensure that Cookies and Saved Passwords are NOT ticked, click OK -> OK.

Open DIYnot and log on then, without logging off, close your browser.
Start Firefox again and go to DIYnot and see if you have to log on again.

Except for financial sites (banks, credit card, and PayPal, etc) it is better not to bother logging off and the cookies should get you logged in on the site when you go back to it.

dave

Sussed...and sorted, cheers dave..

Stay tuned for the next question!!! :LOL:

Oh I meant to add...

I also delete the shortcuts I had to some sites on the descktop as they were created when I was using IE..dunno if it made any difference though.

Sponsored Links
Back