Firefox problem

Ok chaps..

Did that, eventually..took a bit of sussing because if ff is still running when you enter firefox -p into 'run' it just pulls up firefox home page in html format.

Follwing that I tried deleting ff from the system completely..problem was then it cant find any ff files at all..consequently, cant carry out the instructions following typin in 'firefox -p'

S..I tried installing ff but not activating it at the end..

Perfect

Followed instructions, no problem..created a new profile etc...then the acid test, downloading and saving a picture..

No problem..worked fine without and crashe's

Now..

I have managed to reinstall my book marks to this profile but the settings, passwords and other downloads are gone obviously

So..whats my next move?

Suffer it and reload everything

or

Should I be trying to repair profile number one?...is there a way of reparing it?

Thanks for the brilliant imput everyone..

Sponsored Links
Can someone help me with that last question?

I dont know what to do next.

Cheeers

Is the old profile folder still there or was it removed?
Did you make a backup of the old folder?

If you have access to either the old folder or to the backup then transfer one set of files at a time to the new profile, and check that Firefox is still working fine.
dave

****..no I didnt make a back up..I struggled a bit just creating the profile..but having said that..I certainly didnt delete the old one..unless it was overwritten when I created a new one?

Seems Id better cut my loses then and try to get everything back onto this one.

:mad:

Sponsored Links
If you have Firefox up and running with bookmarks in place and there are no crashes, you're on a winner it seems. From now on, it would be best to re-enter any passwords needed for sites and re-install any extensions you want to.

There are ways of backing up certain files from an existing Profile before removing it but I've never done that personally. I reckon a new Profile should be just that as much as possible with all new files.

Bookmarks would be a pain to gather again and re-enter but retyping passwords, re-installing extensions and doing general customisations isn't usually too bad. An hour or so will see it done if you aren't familiar with the operation. It'll be quicker and more 'run of the mill' next time.

Cheers..

As it happens I started to reload stuff..maybe a clean start is the answer..its obvious that one of the files in the old profile was causing grief..but finding which one would involve a lot of trial and error...the bookmarks were all saved in foxmarks so I just needed to import them..that was easy enough.

I have downloaded most of the add ons I can remember from before (next time I will write them down!)

One problem im having though..when I use sites like this and other forums and enter a comment the page is blocked from redirecting back to the original..

I have the pop up blocker box unchecked but its still happening..

Any thoughts?

Thanks..

I don't think that would be anything to do with the pop-up blocker, so it can be ticked again. All 4 of the boxes should be ticked in that area (Tools > Options > Content).

Close the browser and re-open it in Firefox's 'Safe Mode'. Try the forum to see if it still does it. There's a shortcut in 'Start (button) > Programs' for starting Firefox up in Safe Mode. Don't tick any of the boxes when the Safe Mode box shows. Just press the 'Continue in Safe Mode' button.

Safe Mode starts Firefox without extensions loaded, so that would eliminate any of those that might be incompatible and possibly causing trouble.

Nope still doing it..cheers anyway.

I thought it might be linked to a security issue..but I cant find anything,

Sorted...

Tools>options>advanced>'warn me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page'

Thanks for all the help everyone...

Sponsored Links
Back