Firefox problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cant complain its run as sweet as a nut for months..

But just recently whenever it try to save a picture from the net I get an error box up saying its crashed.

Ok the previous session can be retrieved but its a pain

The same thing happens with music files too..well short MP3's (i have a thing about t.v programme themes at the moment..sad i know but the weather has been lousey hasnt it!)

Any thoughts guy and gals (ergherghergerg goodness gracious me)

Sponsored Links
Zampa,
How are you going about saving pictures (or trying) from the web?

Just tried using FF 3.0.1 and right clicked the image and clicked Save Image As, which opened the Save Image window, then named it and it saved to my Pictures.

dave

Sponsored Links
Yep same way Dave

No problem saving U tube stuff of bookmarks..its pictures from google etc, it saves the picture then and error box comes up and it crashes

Had the same problem saving mini theme music mp3's too

Have you tried to save the same pictures using Internet Explorer (6 or 7) and do you get the same results?

you could uninstall FF and download a new one. Your settings and bookmarks will be saved in your Firefox Profile so They should automatically get set up again when you reinstall.

dave

Just tried that dave..no problems with IE 7

I thought about uninstalling foxfire then reloading but I was worried about favourites etc..

Then you metioned the word 'should'...and I worried a bit more !

I just tried another download the the firefox 'crash reporter' box appeared.

I have set up a fox marks profile..so does that mean my settings will reload?

Have a read of this:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles

It tells you how to open your Profile and you can check that all your settings and Bookmarks are there.
It is NOT removed if you uninstall Firefox so don't worry about your settings.
It just puts them back into a new installed version.

Before doing that, just try Firefox in Safemode (NOT your computer) to see if any Addons are causing the trouble.
Go to Start -> All Programs -> in the list point at Mozilla Firefox and click on the Mozilla Firefox (safemode)
It will start FF without any addons, try your picture saving, if it works, go to Tools Addons and click to start just one at a time and try saving a picture again. Hopefully you will get the problem recurring when one of the addons is turned on, then you will know which is causing the problem.
dave

cheers Dave..tried that..no joy unfortunatly

I uninstalled FF but kept a record of my favourites and other settings just in case.

Re installed (relieved to see all my book marks were still there!!)...tried it again...still got the same problem

So im going to go for the big one..complete wipe, settings..the lot

I have Foxmarks set up so does this mean I just have to log onto it after I reinstalled firefox again and simply import my bookmarks?

Cheers

Before you do that, are you sure you have got a problem with your user profile?

Create another user and login as that user. If it (hopefully!!) works, whilst still logged in, renamed your profile under documents and setting and login as your usual username and your profile should be re-created - beware you'll lose desktop settings etc when you login again as your usual username once you've renamed but you should be able to salvage whatever you need from your renamed profile.

Hope it helps. Good luck

Many faults in Firefox are Profiles folder related. Uninstalling Firefox via Add/Remove Programs and then re-installing it doesn't renew the Profile. Bookmarks and other files are stored in the Profile and that's why they are retained during the uninstall/reinstall (via Add/Remove only) operation. If the Profile isn't working properly though, it may need replacing. To find out if the Profile is causing the problem, you can try creating an additional one for test purposes:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows

If Firefox runs OK with the new Profile, import the bookmarks from the original one and customise it to requirements. Once that's done, the faulty Profile can be deleted. If the test Profile doesn't do any good, it can either be removed, or left there in case you ever need to use it again.

Trying an additional test Profile in Firefox is sometimes a good first step to take.

It could also be a dodgy update, try starting (firefox) in safe mode, see what happens then, after a while (a month or two, you can use firefox during this time), it'll probably ask you to update, it doesn't matter whether it's done right away or next time firefox is started. Hope this helps.

Stuart

Cheers all..

sdavies...I tried that approach last week..but sadly it didnt work.

I will have a delve into the profile theory..once I have sussed out how to do it..it looks complicated but worth a go..

I have foxmarks set up on here..I thought that would allow me to reload my favourites

Will it?

Thanks..

Simply create another or use an existing user and try that. If it works as a different user, you know its profile related.

Sponsored Links
Back