Firepit in decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just in the planning stages for my garden makeove , in one area I am having a rectangle area of decking with a built in seating area on 2 sides (on walls).

I was mulling over having a table in the centre but then had a brainwave - why dont I build a raised area in the middle for a firepit and just build a top to put over when we want to use it as a table, but what I am worried about is the decking catching fire!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there anyway I could construct a firepit made of decking in a 1 metre square and line with say firebricks or would it have to be built in brick?

Sponsored Links
not really sure what a fire pit is but sounds quite deep
would suggest maybe look at concrete base on the ground "fire pit" whatever that is
decking as close as is safe to the bricks/blocks or other fire proof material its built from

I'm involved in re-enactment and our group has a forge that is held in a wood box on legs. Here's a couple of shots to show you-
DSCN0802.jpg

bosworth2006007a.jpg

The construction is simple although we've tried different approaches which were mainly aimed at making the thing lighter.
The construction now is the box lined with supalux seperated from the wood with a layer of quilted furnace insulation and covered then with fireclay. The fire sits on that and we haven't had any problems to date. The fire can get hot enough to hammer weld i.e. the steel or iron is just on the cusp of melting and Paul our blacksmith does find crude glass forming around the chu pipe where air enters the fire.

Thanks ladyloya - food for thought. I wouldn't of ever dreamed you could have a furnace in a wood frame - just goes to show how well good insulation can work.

@ big al

hi, a fire pit is a glorified camp fire really, comes in various guises

portable which is more common place

PR2000006401_card.jpg

and built in

outdoor-entertaining-night-fiore-design_3752.jpg

I was trying to avoid having to build brickwork (as never done it) but the back of the house and the wall pillars in the garden are reclaimed brick do I guess it would look in keeping. Would I need foundations using brick approx 3 feet high square approx 1 metre sides

but

I really wanted a sort of built up table cladding/made of decking in the middle of the decking floor with the fire pit in it. I could perhaps build a frame and then add a bought fire pit into it or have a metal tray made up or an old steel barrel all fitted so they was flush with the top so I could cover with a wooden table top.

Sponsored Links
i recon that lot need a flagon off ale to put a smile on there faces :D

another though if it only has the occasional stray cinder causing the odd scorched mark then perhaps set up a designated area and overboard or set in with say the same decking at 45 degrees to a large enough area to place chairs on comfortably in table mode
this will make it easier neater to replace damaged boards

i recon that lot need a flagon off ale to put a smile on there faces :D

Oddily enough biggy we're known as one of the groups that are always laughing about something and always having fun but unfortunately the camera does seem to have caught an off moment :confused:
Ale comes out when all the mops have gone home :D

plan was to build bench seats into 2 sides (walled sides) of the decking so table is more of a beer / coffee table idea with the fire pit hidden under decked top, more than a full dining table with a large overhang. might use underneath it and the benches as a log store (2 birds 1 stone)

Speaking of dining table area, Im having another area for a dining table, I wasnt planning on doubling up deck boards - is this needed as it will double the cost :eek:
what sort of spacing between joist will I need was planning about 450mm in 4x2 on the short length, did enquire about 6x2 but timber merch said he was finding it hard to get, advised 4x2 chocked off ground a few inch to make it same height, presume paving stones or block pavers be ok?

as you say off moment :cool:
you definately have to have a laugh and an ale later as a bit off encouragement :p :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back