Fireplace and skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hetas engineer will fit the stove but I am wondering if oak skirting can be fitted on the front face of the fire opening above the slate hearth. The heartier will be 350mm from the front wall to the edge of the hearth. Between the stove and each side of the opening is about 180mm. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It would be unusual to run skirting across the face of the hearth and dependent on distance from heat source / stove it may contravene BRegs. I'm not entirely clear what you mean from your post tbh any chance of a photo?

I can give you some ideas how to finish skirting 'neatly' flush with the chimney breast if that's what you want.

As Hotrod says, it's not entirely clear what you mean.

Structural timbers, such as joists and trimmers, must be separated from heat-producing appliances, but generally, thinner timbers (which includes skirtings, picture rails, dados, mantel-shelves etc) are exempt from this rule.

Yep just reread my post and the waffle about the hearth serves no purpose to my question! Not sure if I will be able to load a photo up but will try explain myself a bit better! I know it makes sense to me!!

If you look at the fire place, either side on the front wall, can skirting be fitted? I ask as either side of the fireplace is an alcove which will have the skirting fitted but the if it stops at the front edge and not return round the corner to the front of the fireplace , how does that bit of the alcove that meets the front wall of the fireplace get finished? Just a 90 degree cut ? Or would it be a 45 cut? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think I know what you mean. You can do a nifty cut and 'return' 2* 45° mitres on themselves so the skirting finishes flush with the breast and still has the 'right' profile.

That's what I did on my own hearth. I'm not a joiner, so I don't know the correct terminology for it, I'll upload a photo tomorrow.

You can finish it like this, it looks a bit smarter that just a straight flush cut:-

Stopend mitre Hotrod, like that ship in the bottle eighteen months or so ago.
Regards oldun

Thanks hotrod that is what I need to do! I better get painting to the base of the wall, I left a bit of a gap thinking that's ok it will be covered by the skirting. Cor that will be a couple of fun cuts... Think I might take my skirting to woodwork class when it comes to it!
Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back