Fireplace/Chimney Breast Questions ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently demolished a hideous feature fireplace in our recently bought victorian house with the hope of eventually restoring anything uncovered that is original to the building.

I have uncovered a very messily (and what seems to be poorly constructed, but I'm no expert) filled in fireplace. It is built round a more recently installed gas fire that was already disconnected when we moved in. I therefore have assumed that there was a problem with it and is in no fit state to be used again.

Part of me wonders if it should be covered back up and left well alone.

Ideally my wife and I would like an open fire or wood burner, and resore the exposed brick.

My overall question I suppose is 'what would you do?'

But specific questions relating to what I've uncovered are:
- Why is what I assume to be the original arched lintel so high from the floor (about 5')
- There is a row of bricks 1 course below the base of the arch which looks integrated into the original brickwork, could this be covering an iron (say) lintel?

Now:

Before:

Sponsored Links
That room will have been the original 'family' room of the house, in which would have been done the cooking, eating and general living. As such, it would have contained the typical Victorian cast-iron range, whch was a large unit needing a lot of space to use, hence the high archway.

As to your point about the bricks, it is unlikely there will be a metal lintel behind the arch.

The arch would have been the original opening, quite a few openings were made smaller.
You should be able to carefully remove all the stuff below it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back