Fireplace concrete lintel removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm planning to have a log burner fitted but wanted to open up the fireplace height to its original 1914 arched lintel. In more recent years it has had a concrete lintel put in place much lower down possibly due to the gas fire that was previously there. My question is can I remove the lower concrete lintel and filler bricks above to bring it back to the original arched lintel? I haven't taken the plaster off my chimney breast yet to see all revealed but here are some photos of my semi-detached neighbours matching chimney breast when he was stripping it. Blurry photos I'm afraid but original arch, newer concrete lintel and filler bricks can be seen.
Thanks all

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need to either hack your plaster off or get inside the chimney with a torch to make sure you still have an intact arch- a particularly foolish gas fire fitter could easily have made a builders opening in the middle of it to do gas fire things.
As long as the arch is intact and the mortar looks good then yes you can ditch the lintel and infill bricks, if the lintel is only a course or 2 below the arch then be careful removing it (might be tempting just to cut it & leave the ends in place)

You need to either hack your plaster off or get inside the chimney with a torch to make sure you still have an intact arch- a particularly foolish gas fire fitter could easily have made a builders opening in the middle of it to do gas fire things.
As long as the arch is intact and the mortar looks good then yes you can ditch the lintel and infill bricks, if the lintel is only a course or 2 below the arch then be careful removing it (might be tempting just to cut it & leave the ends in place).

Here's one I prepared earlier.... IMG_20200120_224031630.jpg

OP, dont rely on those pics of your neighbour's chimney breast.
remove enough plaster off your own c/breast to expose any lintel and/or brick arch - then photo and post on here.
but until you've hit upon the burner you intend to fit you wont have any Mfr's installation dimensions to work to?
there might also be live gas, elec or water hidden inside your c/breast.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies! I'll examine the arch as best I can from inside and out and will take photos and post them. I've found 3 dead gas pipes running in so have cut and capped them far outside, there is one live elec cable running in from a spur (old back boiler) which I'm having removed this weekend by a pal.
Providing all looked visually intact, what would be the best way to remove a concrete lintel?

Oldbutnotdead yours is similar to my neighbours arch this is exactly how I want mine to end up.

Thanks

Depends how near the arch it is. You may not be able to see on mine (or your neighbours) but on mine there's an iron strap on the underside of the arch, the ends are bedded in to the pillars.
Yours may not have one and it isn't critical to the arch strength but if there is one then be aware of it cos if you start ragging the ends it could disturb the arch.
Do your inspection/hack the plaster off and put some pics up of what you find.
You may find the old back boiler in there (from before the gas conversion), unlikely to be connected to any live services but check.

IMG_3422.JPG
IMG_3423.JPG
A couple pictures up the chimney you can see the concrete lintel and solid blocks of original bricks a little way up above it on both sides. I know these "brick blocks" are original as a few years back when the gas fire was taken out I looked up and found an early 20th century cigarette packet stuck in the mortar. Guessing I shouldnt be touching these and they are a little way still below the arch.

Can't see the arch in those pics yet, you might want to put your phone on a selfie stick & get some square shots.
Those bricks will have been part of the throat of the original fire....not structural

IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3463.JPG
IMG_3464.JPG
IMG_3465.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3469.JPG
I threw in a little mortar here and there where some was missing but here are some pics showing what I'm up against. I don't think it's terrible but will go with your judgement. The arch equally on both sides looks like it once had pipe holes or drilled for a mantelpiece? Hence the damage. A few more pics of the low edges, the general pointing standard remaining and an inside chimney shot of the arch (best I could do). The plaster still remaining i just haven't got round to removing yet. With repair, is there still life in the old girl yet?

Thanks

That'll be fine. chop the plaster off carefully (that sand/cement will be stronger than the bricks) then drill the mortar out of the first course of bricks just above the new concrete lintel, remove them carefully (try not to lever them, don't want any upwards force on that arch) then work upwards brick by brick til you get to the arch

IMG_3503.JPG
IMG_3507.JPG
IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3512.JPG
So far so good. Nice iron bar running below the arch appears strong and intact. Behind the remaining top left and right bricks to be removed I've come across the non-structural throat you mentioned earlier but it's part of the new bricks that I'm currently removing! Quite a lot to come out hope I don't bring it all down!

Happy days. If you can work from the top down it'll lessen the odds of a big tumbling brick and rubbish nonsense. Unfortunately for you it looks as if the throat may have been done with cement and sand rather than fireclay- it'll take some shifting. Main trick is avoid putting any upward pressure on the arch.
Me I'd be removing the brick pillars at either side first - again on yours it's going to be a chore cos they've been toothed into the throat.

OP, your c/breast is a copy cat of the neighbour's c/breast - you'll be quite safe to remove all filler brickwork up to the arch.
the SS liner is holed and should be smoke tested or best replaced.
the flue needs sweeping, and wire brushing in the fireplace opening.

the bottom course of hearth bricks is damp - the old hearth soil needs digging out.
a damp and beatle damaged joist can be seen.
the vent on the rear wall is most likely redundant.
during this work you are doing - then why not raise and sink any nearby elec outlets at 450mm height.

IMG_3531.JPG
Managed to remove everything safely! Thanks for all your advice! Just seen the latest post, old hearth needing digging out, damp and beatle damage :cry: yikes that hearth currently in there is solid concrete! Another quick question is would that iron bar below the arch need to be covered or can it be left as is? Thanks

Good work- dunno how you've kept the floor so clean with all the cack that must have dropped out.
I've left my equivalent iron bar exposed, it is probably a good idea to cover it (depending on your decor) with fire retardent board.
I couldn't see the beetle-damaged joist- if there is any exposed timber have a good look at it and consider your options.
If you're going to put a woodburner in there and use it regularly the damp problems will go away- have a good tap of that hearth, if it sounds hollow or thin then breaking it up may not be the chore you're expecting, it needs min 50mm thickness and unless you have an inset stove it'll need to extend beyond the breast (can't remember by how much, 500mm rings bells)
EDIT If there is a vent in the back of the chimney (I couldn't see one) leave it- depending on what type of woodburner you put in it may save you having to create additional ventilation into the room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back