Fireplace Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just recently bought my first house and have been looking into fitting a new gas fire. The cost of fitting seems to be extremely expensive and I have been told that only fireplace suppliers will fit their own fireplaces and that corgi registered fitters will only fit central heating? Is this true? And if so does anyone know of any cheap places in Scotland?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
We are looking to replace our fire insert, surround, backboard and hearth. we had a quote from the shop where we will probably get the insert, backboard and heath from for £170 to fit it all. They said that the fitter may not mount the surround because he would not be insured if he damaged it (it's an Art Deco wooden one that is not hard to fit).

I would have thought that shops will only fit their own so that they get more cash out of you.

CORGI registered fitters should fit gas fires. How else would fires bought from B&Q, etc, ever be fitted legitimately?

I am not CORGI registered so cannot comment. I think it's better to pay to have it done correctly than have the house go boom!

Meblin

CORGI registration involves several levels of certification depending on what you want to fit and gas fires require a seperate ticket to say boilers or cookers

So basically if I contact a corgi registered engineer would they be prepared to fit a fireplace? Has anybody had any experience of buying a fireplace from one shop and getting someone else to fit it?

Sponsored Links
yes..as mentioned previously... ring round for a corgi reg plumber/heating engineer to fit the gas fire.
If he comes round and gives u a quote he'll be able to tell u what work / how he needs to be fitted etc before he can come and connect it.
then either get a builder/carpenter/diy/ etc to get it ready for the corgi man. (unless he'll do everything (multi talented !!)).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back