Fireplace hearth chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Recently had a big damp problem resulting in a number of joists and flooring being replaced. As part of the work the guys refitting the floor partially removing the hearth due to poor ventilation and boarded over. The left the concrete in the builders opening.

I'm now looking to have a t shape slate hearth fitted and wanted to know the best way of doing this. Can I just put adhesive straight on to the chipboard or should I use ply or another material to cover the chipboard first?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220114_124522.jpg
    20220114_124522.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
I'm assuming there will be a log burner going in here? If so get one that is certified not to raise the hearth temperature above 100 degrees. Then all you need for a hearth is a 12mm of fire resistant material - e.g. a few floor tiles on cement board.

Thanks, that's right no log burner. It will simply be a space for decorative purposes.

I guess then we can just fix cement board down and adhere the slate hearth on to that?

Sponsored Links
yep. then in the future you could put a burner in if you wanted.

What do you plan to do to close the liner/chimney?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back