Fireplace Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening Folks,

1st post so be gentle!!

We have removed an awful gas fire (well the Gas Safe fitter did)from our living room and knocked out brick fireplace to reveal this opening!
I had planned to fit a cast iron insert, but it doesn't quite fit into the insert, around a 2" gap between wall and edge of the insert...

Any suggestions? Another though we had was to open it out, but I'm not sure, there is a lintel underneath the arch bricks, if that is removed won't it make the chimney breast unsafe?

Thanks in advance for suggestions & comments!

Sponsored Links
You have an old bit of steel someone has stuck in, a course of brick laid on edge Above that you should have a 50x10mm cambered chimney arch support bar, supporting the soldier course cambered arch.
Every thing below the camber arch bar, you can pull out, including the 2 half brick skins each side.
Build your new opening to size required, slip prestressed concrete lintel over new opening if required.
If you intend to burn coal, back fill behind insert with lean mix vermiculite and smoke test flue.
old un.

Thanks for that! The odd bit of steel was actually a very old gate hinge!! I would of been surprised, but the previous owners had done shocking things previously, this being the latest one we've found!!
We now have a nice size opening, ready to be used!

Sponsored Links
Evening Folks,

1st post so be gentle!!

We have removed an awful gas fire (well the Gas Safe fitter did)from our living room and knocked out brick fireplace to reveal this opening!
I had planned to fit a cast iron insert, but it doesn't quite fit into the insert, around a 2" gap between wall and edge of the insert...

Any suggestions? Another though we had was to open it out, but I'm not sure, there is a lintel underneath the arch bricks, if that is removed won't it make the chimney breast unsafe?

Thanks in advance for suggestions & comments!
Hi, what did you do about the gap - we have same issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not resurrect old threads. See the forum rules. ONE new thread will do.
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back