fireplace internal brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im trying to open up the fireplace in my 1926 3 bed semi (back room) it has a back boiler fitted (see pics) which i can remove, my problem is inside the fireplace there is what looks like staggered brick work rising on either side up to what i assume is the flu, so, if i remove the brick on the outside and use a lintel (leaving both side pillars) can i also remove the internal brickwork as well and not cause the whole thing to fall down
ps im wanting to open the fireplace to the level of 2 course of brick from the ceiling
WP_20160624_003.jpg WP_20160625_006.jpg WP_20160625_005.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your proposal sounds reasonable but it could turn and bite:

Is there a full chimney breast rising to a roof stack still in place above the photo?
If there is, you will probably have to steel lintel across after inserting two Acrow Strong Boys in the bed below the upper 2 courses.
Your lintel, padstones and steel plates will be supporting all above.
Best practice would involve a SE & BCO. I'd suggest stop work until you've had a heads up - using your photos and a photo of the whole c/breast FFL to ceiling as references.
Is the backing wall a party wall?

The back boiler flow & return lead pipes might still have water in them - are they still connected to a hot water cylinder?

thank you for your reply, yes the back boiler is still connected but that is easy to cap off upstairs,
yes there is a full chimney breast rising to the first floor and then up through the loft and up to the edge of the roof
finally yes i think the backing wall is a party wall

Unless you are willing to risk snatching the cylinder connection nuts to cap the cylinder bosses you will have to drain down or syphon the cylinder to disconnect the pipes.
Remove all accessible piping.
The thing is you might be proposing to enter chimney breast removal Regs and PWA territory: I dont know, I'm not on site.
Whether your neighbour has a full or partial chimney breast could become relevant.
As above, best get a heads up

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back