Fireplace lintel questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have decided to remove our fireplace surround as we really didn’t like and we are getting the whole wall skimmed anyway so it was a good opportunity.

Originally it was an open fire when the house was built (around 1850) and then circa 1990s it was changed to a wood burner.

I’ve taken away the wood surround to expose the brick work behind and I can’t see a lintel.

We do have a metal bar running across the opening but it’s only 10mm think and 50mm wide. It’s flat and not L-shaped. It sits 100mm each side onto the brick work.

Should I strip the plaster off further up the wall to try and find one if the metal bar isn’t it? The plaster is cracked anyway so may have to strip it off to give a good base for the skim anyway.

Or am I worrying about nothing? As, it would have fallen down a long time ago if it didn’t have one?

The plan is to just tidy up the brickwork anyway and either leave it exposed or fit a nicer looking wooden surround.

Is there a minimum distance from a wood burner that a surround has to be? The previous one was about 250mm distance from the burner.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back