Fireplace lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just in the process of opening up an old fireplace in my second bedroom to create an alcove. House is a Victorian terrace built circa 1880. I have removed the blockwork infill to get back to the original opening, which is around 50cm wide.

At the top of the opening is a soldier course with one of the bricks cut to a taper and the others laid at a slight angle. A couple of these bricks are very slightly loose and the mortar between is a bit crumbly. There is no steel bar underneath or lintel that I can see by peering in to the opening. I assume it was built without one.

I'm after some advice on what to do with the loose bricks. Options would seem to be:

1. Leave it as it is
2. Attempt to leave the bricks in place, rake out the mortar and repoint
3. Remove loose bricks and refit with new mortar
4. Fit a concrete lintel

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
theres no support as its an arch, best to put a concrete lintel in if your just going to plaster it up

Thanks - figured that was probably the safest solution, though also the most work. Just can't help thinking that if it was designed to work without a lintel I should be able to keep it that way!

If you are going to make a feature of it/use it then you could make up a plywood frame consisting of two stout side pieces and a double or triple layer of thinner ply to bend into the shape of the arch. Tap this into place and then rake out the old mortar one brick at a time and re-point back into place. It you need to adjust the position of any bricks this can be done with small pieces of slate to wedge them into the correct position.

Sponsored Links
The plywood support sounds like a good suggestion. Think I prefer this approach as it's less destructive and leaves the option of making a feature out of the brickwork.

It's not a true arch as the bricks are at the same angle from each side, with a wedge-shaped brick in the middle (sometimes known as a 'Dutch arch').
Unless the mortar is sticking well to the bricks - which it may not do with the old lime mortar - they may all come away.

Just to update, in the end I went with conny's suggestion of rebuilding the arch. Having built a timber frame I intended to replace one brick at a time, but once I got started it became clear the course above were supporting themselves. I was able to remove the entire course without any dropping then replace them all with new lime mortar.

By the time I'd scrubbed down and repointed the bricks inside, laid a new concrete bed and tidied up the plaster and skirtings it did seem like quite a faff! Anyway, happy with the result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back