Fireplace - no lintel, problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am opening up an old blocked up fireplace, but I'm not intending to put a burner or fire in.

I've stripped back the plaster looking for a lintel, and about 1.65m from ground and not found one. Plus the brickwork shape is making me wonder if there will be one at all - can't find any other examples of this online.

It's a 1930s terrace, so can't be that unusual??

I'm not sure if it's safe to knock out the lowest side bricks and install a lintel, or whether I need to support the top of the opening. Have been looking for a lintel to give me confidence.

Has anyone got experience of this type of opening / can offer any advice?

Attachments

• 20221002_115442.jpg
    20221002_115442.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Can't offer any info on that type of opening other than its corbelled brickwork and so self supporting and is indicative of what a lintel needs to support in coursed brickwork wall, i.e. the triangular wedge above it. If you want to close it up just remove the 1st half bricks below the triangular section, insert lintel and brick up triangular opening. Taking the half bricks out will just extend the corbelled opening and will therefore not require any temporary supports

Thanks, that is helpful.

So if I want to go higher than that I'd need supports before knocking any bricks out?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back