Fireplace opening up, wider lintel? Please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've opened up my fire place with the intention of having a stove fitted. Here is a photo of what I've done so far:-
img_20150707_214451-jpg.81967

As you can see the opening is quite narrow.

Can I open it up wider myself or does this require building regulation approval?

If I can open it up wider is this actually a good idea as the chimney breast would then be a single brick in thickness? I'm thinking damp might become an issue or possibly the structural integrity?

I would need a wider lintel for the front (150mm bearing each side) but would I also need 2 small lintels for the sides?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20150707_214451.jpg
    IMG_20150707_214451.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 743
Sponsored Links
See attached image of my dimensions. This is after I've opened up the fireplace. Currently the fireplace is only 460mm wide. The stove dimensions are for a Stovax Stockton 3/4. I'm thinking about using 2x 600mm square slate tiles for the decorative hearth, I think that meets the requirements for this stove. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-09-09-27-57-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_2015-07-09-09-27-57-01.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 193
OP, you need to post the dimensions of the actual chimney breast brickwork - post a plan view showing the outside dimensions. Its not clear what kind of c/breast and flue(s) you have.

Does this, and any other, flue go up to a stack?
Does the c/breast project beyond the outside wall, or is that backing wall a party wall?
Is the ground floor (?) solid or suspended?

Presumably you will need a 840mm high x 660mm wide x 350mm deep opening for the appliance?

Hi ree,

Thanks for your reply.

I have an external chimney breast. It's a detached house although the neighbours have a conservatory against that wall and chimney breast. The chimney breast protrudes on the outside and is 1050mm wide.

There are no other flues connected to this stack. It's a solid ground floor although when I tap, parts sound hollow.

The appliance will fit in a smaller opening but I've been told an air gap is important. A gap lets the heat into the room rather than just heat the chimney breast.

Sponsored Links
Your above dimensions will, after opening up, leave you with roughly enough brickwork to be safe.

But you must open up to Mfr's dimensions - not to any friendly advice.

I think that if you read recent threads (in this forum) on this subject you will get a better idea of the variables required.

Typically its pretty safe to open up a fire opening but in your case i would, as i've advised others, have a heads up on site with a HETAS & a builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back