Fireplace surround and back hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We have (had!) an open fire in our lounge which I have removed. This has left an opening in the chimney breast measuring approx 450mm wide by 600mm high.

Our chimney has been capped. I am looking to reduce the recess to around 450mm x 530mm by building a false floor in the bottom of the recess, thus making the recess appear that it is floating above the floor. I'd then like to drop a stone / marble / granite hearth inside the recess so that it protrudes into the room slightly with a curved front. I'd then like to plasterboard the inside of the recess, skim it and paint black. Then put a stone / marble / granite surround on the front of the recess, and finally put either a gel fire bowl or candles inside which we can light for decorative purposes.

My question is - where would the best place be to get the hearth and surround made up? Is there anything available off the shelf?

This is the kind of thing we are looking to achieve

kerry.jpg

Many thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this for us :p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back