Soild fuel fireplace: heath, back panel etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had the old hearth and surround removed from my fireplace, as they were ugly and knocked about:

DSC_0016.jpg

I've painted the walls, but the room is basically as seen. I would like to keep a solid fuel fire, even though I would rarely have a real fire, so cosmetic hearths and surrounds are out. I can get a slabbed granite hearth and back panel (a flat n-shaped bit that goes around the opening) and an oak surround which would look nice. But the granite is very very heavy, and I might need to get someone to install it. I know I would bed the hearth down on mortar, making sure it was an right angles to the wall. What would I use to attach the back panel to the wall? I would use fire cement to seal between the edges of the firebrick insert and the back of the back panel.

Are there alternatives such as granite tiles? I have put down a thin layer of mortar to fill the shallow hole you see in the photo, where the old hearth went. I assume if it was tiled, there would have to be a base for the tiles, as regs require a greater thickness than the tiles alone give.

Could I use granite tiles as the back panel between the opening and the wooden surround? If so, what would I use to attach them to the wall? My guess is normal cement, but fire cement between the tiles and the edge of the firebrick insert.

I've considered removing the firebrick insert and opening out the fire place, but it seems too much trouble.

Sponsored Links
For constructing surrounds, I use 600 x 300mm x 10mm granite tiles (careful how you cut as they are expensive) but I always "buy in" sectional constructed hearths as they comply with B Regs. "out of the box" & are much easier to work with than trying to make your own. For the tiles use a quality trade Rapidset tile adhesive (withstands up to 150 C) & also use this to level the floor rather than a thin sliver of mortar as this will most likely fail. I don’t use normal grout as it usually fails due to constant expansion/contraction in the tiles; I set the tiles at ½ mm gap & use clear silicone. You can fix the hearth with the same Rapidset adhesive or even a quality silicone. Don’t use gypsum plaster around the fire, it will fall off!

You don’t say if the fire has been in use up to the work your doing but you should be aware that re-commissioning an existing fire/stove is notifyable building work & both the constructional/decorative hearth & fire surround (which will need a notice plate) must comply with current BR’s & you may need a compliance certificate for the fire & flue. I would advise you at least get a registered HETAS installer to test & certify the flue as being safe & compliant.

Hello Richard

Thank you for the informative reply. Looks like the slabbed hearth is easiest. The fireplace is an existing functional one, and I am replacing the existing hearth and back panel. The constructional hearth is basically still there, and is the floor. I'll add a wooden surround. Are you saying that what I am doing is notifiable? If so, then I might have to get this done by qualified professionals, unless the inspection is not expensive, and if I am sure I can do this correctly. (I don't think the work is hard, once a friend gives me a hand to lift the stone.) As you say I will have the flue checked.

Were I to build a tiled hearth, I presume I could create a rectangle from mortar/concrete, using wooden slats as a mould, then tile the sides, and lastly tile the top.

As an aside, a colleague has opened out several fireplaces, and I know he has not had them inspected.

Looks like the slabbed hearth is easiest.
For the money you can’t beat them.

The fireplace is an existing functional one, and I am replacing the existing hearth and back panel. The constructional hearth is basically still there, and is the floor. I'll add a wooden surround. Are you saying that what I am doing is notifiable? If so, then I might have to get this done by qualified professionals, unless the inspection is not expensive, and if I am sure I can do this correctly. (I don't think the work is hard, once a friend gives me a hand to lift the stone.) As you say I will have the flue checked.

Guidance lifted direct from LABC website states “unless you employ a registered installer to carry out the work, you will need to involve Building Control if you alter in any way the construction of fireplaces, hearths or flues. As your replacing both the hearth & the fire back I would say you will need approval if you DIY but ring your LABC & check with them; they will also advise you of the cost & you may well find it easier & more cost effective to employ a local HETAS registered installer direct.

Also bear in mind you may be required to bring the fire installation up to current standards which will mean providing permanent ventillation, a sealed for life carbon monoxide deterctor & an apliance notice/specification plate (normally fixed next to the electrical C/U) & installing a flue liner if it fails the smoke test.

Were I to build a tiled hearth, I presume I could create a rectangle from mortar/concrete, using wooden slats as a mould, then tile the sides, and lastly tile the top.
You could do it that way but you’ve got the agro of shuttering out, mixing & poring the concrete which you will have to leave at least a month to dry out before you can tile it; buying, cutting & laying the granite tiles which can cost anything from £15 - £40 each depending on size & quality; then you have to cut them to suitable size to allow for expansion/contraction(you cant lay them in one piece) for which will need a quality wet tile cutter; cut very carefully cos if you get one wrong :cry: & finally lay them perfectly flat or the light will reflect off them something awful & there is always the chance of bowing/lippage with large tiles.

I can guarantee you will never get it looking as good as a sectional cast hearth (suitable for solid fuel) which you can get for around £160, will be ground & polished after manufacture which you can lay & fix directly onto your levelled slab in an hour at most & then carry on with the rest of the installation.

As an aside, a colleague has opened out several fireplaces, and I know he has not had them inspected.
Well lots of people carry out unauthorised/uncertified building works; it won’t be a problem for the customer until;
a) they come to sell their property & are asked to provide a compliance certificate
b) there is an insurance claim that can be directly related to the work in question; basically if the property were damaged or, god forbid, burn down & you can’t prove the installation was compliant, the insurance company will most likely reject the claim. There is also the more serious issue of an unsafe installation & carbon monoxide is a quick & silent killer!

Sponsored Links
Hello Richard

Thank you again. Very helpful. I think I will contact a qualified installer, and see how much the supply and fitting of slabbed hearth and back panel would cost. I think for the small extra cost of doing it right it is worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back