Fireplace granite back panel (electric fire and spacer)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...
Not sure which is the best place to post this so have gone for general DIY....
Just had an old gas fire with balanced flue removed and now looking to fit a new electric fire which granite hearth, granite back panel and solid pine surround. the whole 'suite' will be fitted to a flat plasterboard wall. All of the components of the new suite were sold as a package from the store we bought them from, therefore you wouLd 'assume' that they are all compatitble with one another and will 'fit' properly. However, the one thing that i can't see working is fitting the spacer that came with the electric fire to the wall (as instructed in the fire installation instructions for flat walls) and then fitting the granite back panel around it. This is because the spacer is wider and taller than the cut out in the granite back panel (i hope that made sense??)

therefore i can only see one option and that's having to fit the pine surround, the granite back panel and the hearth and then securing the spacer to the front of the back panel the securing the fire to the spacer (as instructed) !! is this advisable though? - screwing into the granite?? i have my doubts! i don't think i will have the clearance when the back panel is fitted, between the back of the back panel and the wall to fit the fire without the spacer. HELP!

any comments, help, advice appreciated
Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back