Fixing Fireplace Back Plate ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks.

I have just bought a Black Granite Back Panel & Hearth set from B&Q http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1259972780632&isSearch=false

I have come to the conclusion that i would prefer not to have fire surround, unfortunately the instructions of the backplate state that a fire surround is what keeps it held against the wall.

Can i fix the backplate against the wall without a fire surround. Can an adhesive be used, and whether a special type (heat resistant) is required ??

The fire itself will have a max output of 3.5kw if makes any difference.

Your advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
fire type(The manufacturers instruction that came with the fire will tell you if you can or not) and what is the wall material you are fixing to?

A plastered brick wall for a 3.5kw fire shouldn't be a problem,
but the manufacturers instruction must be complied to.
So I'd get them out and read up.
As it's a gas fire might be worth re-posting in the plumbing and heating forum, it looks like the fire is something that is particular to wickes.
I have had a look for some spec and installation instruction but drawn a blank. Keep getting re-directed to wickes website and the info there is not great.

Sponsored Links
The fire surround is unlikely to create a hermetic seal and will act purely as the restraining bracket (since it will no doubt be screwed to the wall).

Thus the fire you have requires mechanical fixing and not an adhesive. To create one will either necessitate drilling through the body, which is potentially dangerous and will certainly invalidate the warranty; or force you to use some kind of strap which will not be entirely attractive.

Thu, all in all, you're stuffed :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You can fix the back panel with a good tile adhesive.

The hearth will want bedding on sharp sand mix too.

The fire will have either cable fixings or screw fixings to the hearth and at the top. The screws tighten behind the panel.

I'm sure you know you should have an RGI install the fire and surround it may seem a simple job but, it's also potentially dangerous.

Thanks for all your feedback. I've had an RGI in today & all is well & he forsees little problem :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back