Fireplace with back boiler removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I was going to remove an old fireplace with back boiler and replace it with a modern decorative fireplace perhaps with an electric fire just for show but was a little suprise to find a concrete lintel and that it was so high (1920's house and back boiler plumbed in with old size copper pipe). Is this normal? Looks quite a lot of work to remove all the infill up to the lintel height so would there be any issue with just leaving a disconnected back boiler in situ and bricking up / plastering over (leaving an air brick for ventilation)?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. It's about 50 ins to the lintel - v. common. The removal of all the infill bricks, and back boiler, and any metal damper arrangement will be straightforward, and put you in a good position to do whatever, and to sweep, and smoke test.

2. To make good to what you've already done will be as time consuming as doing the above in 1. But there's no issue in making good and venting if you are willing to live with the unknowns up the flue.

3. If/when you cut/or detach the back boiler pipework prepare for the water in the pipes to flow out - a couple of litres.
However, if the pipes are still attached to a hot water cylinder then come back here before cutting anything.

The b/boiler will also be full of water.

Typically, the pipework will leave the c/breast and run up one side of the c/breast to the cylinder - i'm surprised that it's copper, usually, the b/b is attached to lead circs.

Research recent posts on similar projects. And have a go, look at the pics of what some DIY'ers have achieved in fire openings.

From your photo it's evident that, at one time, there was a cooking range in that opening. That's why the lintel is so high - some poor housewife had to get both her head and the pots over the top of the range

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much dann09, you are spot on re the pipes (and yes they are lead, I just said copper without thinking). They are connected to a hw cylinder and I just tested it, unfortunately it is the type where the actual water that you use goes to the back boiler, not a seperate system with a heat exchange inside the boiler. Not a major problem as it's being ripped out and replaced by a combi boiler in the near future.
I take your point about the flue - think I will just rip it all out, sweep and then seal it up properly. I'm not keen on leaving old stuff anyway anyway, always feels like I've only done half a job !
Thanks Jackrae - interesting that there would have been a range there at some point (and the room was a kitchen). It has been a dining room for years and years but we are making it back into the kitchen !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back