Removing open fireplace in timber framed bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I'm in the process of removing and blocking up an old open fireplace in my 1960s timber framed bungalow. Single skin brick exterior, suspended timber floors.

Having dug out the fireplace, back boiler, hearth and fireback, we removed what turned out to be a 'modern' combined throat lintel. It was sat at a jaunty 45 degree angle into the room, so was sitting proud of the plasterboard around it. It was more hung in place by cement and supported by crumbly firebrick. No red brick below it.

More investigating revealed the steps in red brickwork to the sides of where the lintel sat, much wider, but not in use. Removing the plasterboard revealed two courses of brick before returning to the standard timber framing.

IMG_20230820_111443933.jpg

Should I be getting a proper lintel and fitting it in there, or would small timber frame from under the two course of bricks at the top to the ash pit suffice? Does it even need a lintel if it's only timber frame above it? I have a desire to gut the brickwork above that crumpled back boiler box, but not sure if it's supporting anything at the sides. It has a little pull out tab that opens up the flue behind it for the hot gases to flow under the box.

Thoughts appreciated!

Sponsored Links
We installed a lintel

Turns out the voids to the side had the remains of a previous lintel still bonded in. Cleared them out and fitted a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_183422233.jpg
    IMG_20230820_183422233.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 34

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back