fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help?

I am attemping to build my own mdf surround.
I have bought a laminate for the hearth and back panel.
I am now looking to buy a gas inset fire, but i have now idea about flues. I will obviously get someone to remove and fit gas supply. But i have no idea about what flue i have got. I have not removed existing fire yet, but i have tried looking up chimney. all i can see is i pipe about 5 inches wide. Its got a chimney and a stack. How can i tell what flue i have and what inset i can buy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
ideally you need to get a corgi man in on this upfront to have a look at the chimney and provide input to the overall installation.

i believe there are 3 flue options which are ok for all types of gas inset fires:
1) std brick chimney - the corgi man will do a smoke test to establish if the chimney is ok to use
2) a stainless steel chimney liner (copex) - this is fitted into the chimney if the smoke test is no good
3) directly through an external wall

if the chimney has a metal pipe in it then i would say it's already got a copex fitted - 5" dia is the size used. in this case you will need a metal box inside the chimney for the fire to fit into (they are called something like a firebox but you need to get the right type - have found info via google in past but safest to get a corgi man in)

be aware that the backplate and hearth both need to be sealed to the wall to ensure no gas can pass into the room from the chimney space behind the fire. the fire is also gas sealed against the backplate and hearth.

If you look up the fireplace, then you will probably see the throat, and not the flue proper.

If the house is more than 40 years old, then it most likely has a brick flue. If more recent then concrete or clay liners. But this assumes it has not been lined retrospectively

If you can see a 5" pipe, and tap it and it sounds metal, then its most likely lined with s.steel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back