Fireplace flues!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help?

I am attemping to build my own mdf surround.
I have bought a laminate for the hearth and back panel.
I am now looking to buy a gas inset fire, but i have now idea about flues. I will obviously get someone to remove and fit gas supply. But i have no idea about what flue i have got. I have not removed existing fire yet, but i have tried looking up chimney. all i can see is i pipe about 5 inches wide. Its got a chimney and a stack. How can i tell what flue i have and what inset i can buy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
You can't really get advice on such an important issue on a forum. Your best advice would be to make friends with a good local chimney sweep, who can take care of all this for you.

There are also regs on the size of hearth and materials used.

Sponsored Links
I think you need a corgi, not a chimney sweep!

I have seen bespoke fireplaces, but the guy who does them was told what to make it out of by a corgi.

lots of surrounds are made from mdf! and im not paying someone lots of money, when i can make it myself! Back panels and hearths are also being made out of laminate suitable for gas fires. I just wanted to know about the flue. I have found out that there used to be a back boiler in there and there is a five inch flue. Am i correct in thinking this is classed as a class 2 flue?

You're quite right lots of fire surrounds are made from MDF, theres also lots made from hardboard, and theres lots made from solid wood.

And I spend all day every day turning off and isolating the appliances fitted to them.

But as you know better carry on.

Are we talking about a fire surround or Mantel ?

To be honest I did consider that the enquirer was talking about a mantle ( which allowing for clearances is obviously fine in wood) rather than a surround.

However the mention of a crappy flimsy bit of B&Q laminate being incorporated into said MDF construction caused me to gaze into my DIY gas fire surround crystal ball.

And after the mists settled I could definitely make out in a year or two's time a temper tantrum from an irate DIY fire surround constructor railing against an unsuspecting innocent Corgi registered engineer about to condemn a non sealed flapping in the wind MDF and wafer thin laminate sheet fire and fumes hazard.

What on earth did God invent marble and tiles for if not to save gas fitters from arguments with DIY fire surround builders regarding the fact that ...."it's been fine for years mate"..?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back