Fireplaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am moving into a flat in a few months time which has in the living room a horrible 1950s (I think) tiled fireplace with a back boiler (unused).

It is currently filled with an imitation electric fire but I want rid of it.

Here are my options:
1. Rip it out and re-plaster wall
2. Replace with a new fireplace for coal/wood burning
3. Replace with electric fireplace

There is no gas in the property.

I have concerns with all three options:
1. Will I regret not having any fireplace in the living room? I love setting a fire and sitting by it in the winter. Never lived in a house with one though, only holidays etc.
2. Will I get a bad draught through the chimney?
3. Not too keen on this option.

Also, what would be the cost involved in replacing the fireplace and reinstating it? We tested the chimney and it does draw well so hopefully no issues there.

Thanks

Colin C

Sponsored Links
Probably cost best part of a thousand for insert, surround and fitting.

When not in use, you could always stuff something up the chimney and stick a pipe through it to ensure than some ventilation still flows.

A replacement electric stove is probably the cheapest/easiest option. Next would be an open fire but although these are nice, they are messy & the room will always be covered in black smuts; & then there are draughts from the open flue. The flue would have to be checked; just because draws well doesn’t mean it’s suitably constructed, conforms to current Building Regulations or is in suitable condition. Enclosed or cassette wood burners/multi-fuel stoves are the most expensive & will almost certainly need a flue liner. Cost depends very much on what you have & how much work needs doing but it could be anything between, say, £800 - £3000. My Stovax Riva cassette cost just under £2k all in but I did all the building prep. works & installed the Granite hearth & surround myself leaving just the flue liner, fittings & stove installation, testing & commissioning; it’s important to remember that any flue/stove installation is notifyable work unless you use a registered installer & you will need a certificate of compliance. If the heat output is above 5Kw Building Regs. also require a suitably sized, permanently open vent in the room.

If you intend to install an open fire or stove that has any sort of heat output & is not purely decorative, DO NOT use Gypsum plaster products either as a base coat or finish inside the fire opening or within ½ metre on the wall around it. It will only withstand around 50 degrees C, go much above that & it will crack blow & eventually fall off the wall.

Hmm. I think I might just get it ripped out and plaster the wall.

If I do this do I need a vent in the wall, as I have seen in some places?

Colin C

Sponsored Links
Hmm. I think I might just get it ripped out and plaster the wall.

If I do this do I need a vent in the wall, as I have seen in some places?

Colin C

And a vented cap on the chimney head :D

Personally I would go for the open fire or stove option. Taking out a tile surround is a doddle, done it many times including on my present home. Fitting a fireback is also not rocket science, little thought required for front, fender & hearth etc. And fitting a surround is also fairly straightforward. The cost of a new fireplace can vary tremendously, shop around locally and on t'internet & you'll probably find something reasonable. A stove is certainly going to be more expensive & may require a flue liner.
Don't be put off by the thousand pound estimate, you could pay that obviously, but could also do it for a fraction if your in any way capable of wielding a big hammer & or know a decent builder.
I have a coal/log fire burning every night & wouldn't be without it given the 6 " of snow in our garden at present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back