Fireproof box for aerial amplifier in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an aerial distribution amplifier in my loft and it is very much a case of 'out of sight, out of mind', however when I was up there the other day, I realised just how hot it gets (both in the loft, and the amp itself).

I would like to get a fireproof box to put the amplifier in, but one that has adequate ventilation to keep it cool-ish. That sounds like an oxymoron, I know, but I'm sure in the past that I have seen these boxes advertised, but I can't find them now.

Any thoughts as to how I can achieve better fire safety in my loft?

Thanks.

Nick

Sponsored Links
I think you're being a bit paranoid.
Put a piece of paper on the hot spots for a day or two, if it goes brown then you have a problem with your hardware overheating and if it doesn't you fine. If you have no paper to hand you could try bacon or even an egg......
Your kettle gets hot but it doesn't mean it's going to burst into flames...

Mines been in the loft for over 10 years now, I think you'll be fine. if still concerned though, could you not move it into and airing cupboard ?

It's what they are designed for, mines only been up there 3 years; just make sure it’s stood on a flat surface & not just chucked on top of the loft insulation, I’ve stood mine on an old floor tile which also helps dissipate the heat.

Sponsored Links
If you enclose the amp in a fireproof box then it will only get hotter and eventually you will get what you are worried about. You need air circulation to keep it cool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back