Firevalve location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

It has just been pointed out by our servicing engineer that our oil fired boiler is missing the firevalve - he told me which one I'd need (Teddington KBB C/65) and I'm looking in to installing it.

The installation diagram with the valve (and the boiler, a Grant Combi 70) show the valve must be installed externally at the point the oil pipe enters the building.

My problem is that on my property (a mid terrace barn conversion), the oil pipe enters at the front, runs under the floor boards in to the kitchen at the back of the house, then around the back of the kitchen units and in to the boiler room - so there is no way I could fit the valve at the front and get the temperature sensor in to the boiler.

The only option I can think of is to take the pipe back outside again in the kitchen and run it externally along the back of the house and fit the firevalve just before bringing it back in to the boiler, but I'm not sure that really helps me given that the pipe would be inside the building for the 8 or metres before it gets to the back wall.

Can anyone offer me any other solutions to this (or confirm the above idea would be ok) - I assume that as the property was converted in 2000 then the firevalve regs do apply (and in anycase it sounds like a very sensible thing to have regardless of the regs)

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
Fire down below :!: .....Pipe under floor sounds Dodgy...another lash/high profit conversion :?: Could check with local Building control office, wouldn`t be surprised if tank has to move. :cry:

The NEED for a firevalve is a moot point. If you have a fire it would be useful, but not many houses catch fire, it just depends on your level of paranoia.

You could still have the valve on the front of the house and the sensor in the boiler using one of these . The second one down is an electric one and can be put a very long way from the boiler.

Check the oilpipe runs in a duct under the floor so it is protected from mechanical damage.

Thanks for the replies (and point taken about a bit of a lash job, but we love it...)

I guess paranoia has set in now - next door has installed one (bit easier as tank was at the back) and has convinced me I should do the same.

Checking the pipe run from where it enters the building doesn't look too bad - in a protected duct and then well secured behind kitchen units - so I think the 12m non-electric valve from the above link would reach and won't be too hard to install (at least compared to moving the tank!)

Thanks again for the help

Simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back