Oil Tank Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - New to this forum so thanks for having me! I hope someone (oilman perhaps?) can give me a little guidance...

I am installing a replacement oil tank, in a slightly different location to the one that exists at the moment.

I am using a slimline bunded Harlequin tank, sitting on a concrete base that is 300mm larger than the tank. The base is 300mm of hardcore and 100mm concrete... I have reinforced with steel too.

I have placed a MDPE pipe in a trench in the ground, 450mm deep. I have used warning tape above the pipe when filling in the trench.

I intend to run my oil line inside the MDPE pipe, which leads upto the building... Then 5m along the exterior wall and into the house.

The entire pipe run will be 25m, and the tank is about 2m lower than the boiler.

I intend to use a tigerloop and firevalve outside the building.

Can anyone advise me as to what order to put the tigerloop / firevalve in? What type of pipe is best to use? Best fittings to use with that pipe? Any appropriate jointing compound? How should the pipe be attached to the wall and what constitutes "fire protection" for the overground part of that pipe?

I am about to make a Building Notice for the work, so I just need to make sure I am using the best practices....

I know you will say to go to an OFTEC installer, but I have been so amazed by their prices (4 quotes more than £700 for just the labour) that I just want to DIY the thing... All of the installers I have had to quote tell me it's only 2 hour's work too?!?

Hope someone can help!

Sponsored Links
Can anyone advise me as to what order to put the tigerloop / firevalve in? What type of pipe is best to use? Best fittings to use with that pipe? Any appropriate jointing compound? How should the pipe be attached to the wall and what constitutes "fire protection" for the overground part of that pipe?

You can get all the info from the oftec website.

Firevalve - tiger loop.
Copper.
Flared fittings
Flue silicone (Plumbaflue or similar).
Pipe clips.
What fire protection?

Thanks for that.. I thought that the above-ground section of an oil line should be protected from fire, but I guess this relates to the Qual-Oil type plastic pipe which quotes "if used above ground must be in a fire proof duct or sleeve. "

If I am going to use copper pipe, then this is irrelavent (I guess?).

I am going 25m and have a fall of about 2.75m (bottom of tank to boiler inlet level) so I am using the Tigerloop info table to assume an ID of 5mm for the pipe.... right?

So do I not use PTFE tape at all? Or do I use it together with Heldite / etc?

Submitted Building Notice today. Thanks for the help.

Also, I assume I am OK using the bottom tank outlet? It's just that the Oftec website says that subgravity systems use top-outlet tanks... I can;t see why a bottom outlet should not be used with a "uphill" system - just wanted to check. Of course it's a false economy to DIY it and then to do it wrong!!!!

Sponsored Links
PTFE isn't needed.

Heldite is ok but it needs ages to set before you can apply oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back