Oil Tank Installation

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

hoping to get my metal oil tank replaced soon with a plastic tank and have a question about the base - this set of posts mentions reinforced lintels.

At the moment the metal tank's legs are supported on 2 brick columns about 1 foot high.

I've read here that plastic tanks should be supported on lintels - is that correct.? If so, would it be possible/advisable to place some concrete lintels on top of these existing 2 brick columns to support the new plastic tank ?

would e.g. grange pre-stressed lintels from B&Q website be the sort of thing to use ?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Hi All,

hoping to get my metal oil tank replaced soon with a plastic tank and have a question about the base - this set of posts mentions reinforced lintels.

At the moment the metal tank's legs are supported on 2 brick columns about 1 foot high.

I've read here that plastic tanks should be supported on lintels - is that correct.? If so, would it be possible/advisable to place some concrete lintels on top of these existing 2 brick columns to support the new plastic tank ?

would e.g. grange pre-stressed lintels from B&Q website be the sort of thing to use ?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Depending on the size of the tank that has to be supported i used 125mmx75 mm prestressed concrete lintols from my local builders merchant to support my oil tank after building piers

I've posted the following in "Building" but thought to copy it here, following the original poster of this old thread who reckoned there'd be useful knowledge here!

I need to have a new bunded plastic oil tank installed, and will be engaging an OFTEC engineer to install the pipework etc. To keep down costs, I'm planning on building the piers and the platform myself. The engineer I had out to look at the job was a bit vague about the building requirements, and the CERTAS engineer who also said it was the customer's responsibility to install (or have someone install) the piers and platform referred me to the OFTEC website. I have now consulted the OFTEC advice/regs: https://www.commercialfuelsolutions.co.uk/downloads/oftec/T19_base_construction.pdf
but one or two details elude me.

1. Would it be sufficient to build two piers, one at each end of the platform, or would I need three?

2. I'm thinking concrete blocks laid flat with concrete lintels spaced to support paving slabs to achieve the required width ie one back and front, and one running down the centre to support the inside edges of the slabs. Or should I be planning on a platform made entirely of lintels laid adjacent to each other?

The new oil tank will be located next to the existing redundant steel tanks, on the same concreted yard surface on which the existing piers and tanks were originally built.

(Removal of the existing tanks and utilising their brick piers isn't possible because the regs have changed since they were built, in respect of the distance required from a boundary wall. Also it will be virtually impossible to remove the steel tanks from the location, so I'm leaving them in situ for the time being)

Sponsored Links
Wow can’t believe it’s been near 11 years since I posted on this topic.

1. Would it be sufficient to build two piers, one at each end of the platform, or would I need three?

You've neglected to tell us what size your tank is, so it's impossible to answer that question

Ah, yes. Sorry. It's going to need an 1800 litre tank.
Maybe something like this:
Dimensions 2110 (L) x 914 (W) x 1571 (H) mm
Capacity* 1750 Litres | 385 Gallons
Footprint 2090 (L) x 894 (W) mm
Empty Weight 220 KG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back