oil tank installation cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so had a quote last Saturday for installing a bunded 1000 litre tank and supply pipe work to external boiler tank is being installed on to precast concrete base and then pipework surface mounted to fence ( checked oftec regs and they state pipe work should only be fixed to solid boundaries like brick walls not fences or sheds. Installer is oftec registered so whys he using the wooden fence.

Hes quote is a shade over 2 grand £2040 which seems very expensive to me.

I can get the tank delivered to my home address for £720 thats a Titan 10mm bunded tank with fitting kit .

Sponsored Links
Do it yourself as you seem to know all the regs and exactly how much all the gear costs. How hard can it be?

Sponsored Links
i dont know or the regs why respond like that maybe your a oftec installer i never said it was easy

i dont know or the regs why respond like that maybe your a oftec installer i never said it was easy

It will be because you have already (maybe unintentionally) belittled the trades that you are asking advice from. Just because you can purchase something for delivery doesn't mean that that is the price for it. You fail to take into account that when you purchase that and ask someone to fit it you have no warranty. You also have no idea of all the associated sundries that go with it. You also fail to realise that you are dealing with a business and the idea of a business is to operate at a profit. You pay for a multitude of items when you employ a trade. The first being the knowledge and skill involved. Secondly the aftercare should you need it and then we can add on the overhead costs of running a business so what you actually see is £720 and everything else goes in the guys pocket. You are very very far from reality!

Even forgetting any overheads let's take his £2040 quote. First we lose his vat at 20% so it's actually £1632, then we take off his parts at £720 plus an extra £100 for sundries such as valves and filters etc so that's £812 in labour. Now let's take his tax off that so it's now £649.60

Now all we have done is pay for your parts and supplied the government with their pound of flesh and not even considered any running costs for a business or the fact that the guy is earning a living but your £2040 quote is actually just short of £650 already. Add on other costs and you will be around the £450 mark for the job. Not so expensive when you look at it from a proper point of view eh Ted.

Jon

Okay came to the forum to get some advice and all of got is abuse I've been trying for over three weeks to get quotes I've had companies tell me they are coming stopped in all day and get don't turn up I've had one verbal rough quote why should I pay more than I need to and they pay for a job that does not comply with oftec regs.
I had the same problem a few years back when I was getting quotes to install a very expensive twin wall flue for a wood burner that time I did do it my self had it signed off by building control and saved my self a £750.
as for my location far north west county before Scotland.
As I said was hoping for advice last post for me now removing my self from a very unfriendly forum

Okay came to the forum to get some advice and all of got is abuse I've been trying for over three weeks to get quotes I've had companies tell me they are coming stopped in all day and get don't turn up I've had one verbal rough quote why should I pay more than I need to and they pay for a job that does not comply with oftec regs.
I had the same problem a few years back when I was getting quotes to install a very expensive twin wall flue for a wood burner that time I did do it my self had it signed off by building control and saved my self a £750.
As I said was hoping for advice last post for me now removing my self from a very unfriendly forum
No need to get in a strop. Your attitude so far has irritated some people, but you might yet be able to get some help if you calm down a bit. My reason for asking for your location (a nearest town would have helped...) is that one of the pro's on here might be able to do the work for you.

We can't see your proposed installation and you've not provided any pictures, so it's difficult to give accurate advice, but given that you've established the wooden fence can't be used to clip the pipe to, where are you thinking it should go? Does it need to be buried, or have you got an alternative suggestion? If it needs to be buried, who is going to do the digging?

Pics would help massively here

Okay came to the forum to get some advice and all of got is abuse I've been trying for over three weeks to get quotes I've had companies tell me they are coming stopped in all day and get don't turn up

Don`t see any abuse myself just a breakdown of where the costs add up. However agree that he doesn`t sound reputable if he proposes using the fence OR is there a misunderstanding and he`s going to trench it? If you still feel that we are unfriendly then by all means throw the dummy and leave.

You will be so sorely missed. Boo Hoo :cry::cry:. Please don't go. How will we carry on without you. :(:(:( ....................... Seriously, I am only joking:D. Hang in there and keep asking the questions and answering the queries. Ignore the bits that you find offensive :whistle:. You will get there in the end. (y)

One wonder if the OP is in a rather isolated area with limited qualified companies who might communicate with one another?

" 'ere lads there's this guy at XX XXXXXXXXXX Street. Complete a7se. I wouldn't bother with that one. Knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. "

The phrase is" sh|tting on your own doorstep".

Im still here all I wanted was some feed back whether it was a fair price I don't understand or know about oftec regs I simply looked and read info on there website where's the crime in that the thing that really hacks me off is qualified traded people spouting about how they are certified and then failing to comply .its not me who makes the rules if you choose to bend them and charge me large sums of money don't expect me to be hacked off

Im still here all I wanted was some feed back whether it was a fair price I don't understand or know about oftec regs I simply looked and read info on there website where's the crime in that the thing that really hacks me off is qualified traded people spouting about how they are certified and then failing to comply .its not me who makes the rules if you choose to bend them and charge me large sums of money don't expect me to be hacked off
Pictures? Answer to any of my questions?

This is not moneysupermartket.com

You given no practical information on the work required.

Why moan about abuse when all you had had was questions and statements of facts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back