Firewalls

Sponsored Links
If windows Firewall is not the best

It has it's place.

Sounds like this is for personal rather than business use.....

I'm guessing most people will be using the firewall built into their broadband routers these days.

Before my router I used to use ZoneAlarm which I liked except that certain programs/services would ask for permission to connect to the Internet that could confuse some people...like Service Host for example.

Any firewall with regular code updates is a great start.

Check your firewall with the Shields UP service at http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

I hear good things about Comodo as recommended by Tonka.

Sponsored Links
lets just confirm.....your pc i directly connected to your cable or adsl modem?
And neither are routers?

Yes no wireless connection straight hardwired the old fashion way, the problem is I've tryed to use PC tools but couldn't gain internet access, I'm not that techy, so when pop ups keep appearing asking me to allow or block certain application or files it freaks me. I do a Homer, eeny meeny miney moe :confused:
My partner does want a lap top for Christmas so don't know who that will effect things?

Hi,
having NO wireless connection doesn't necessarily mean you DONT have a router, you may just have a non-wireless router.
Please confirm you only have one RJ-45 (network cable) connection coming out of your modem straight into your pc? There are no other sockets (except maybe usb) on the modem?
Make and model of modem would help to identify its capabilities too.

I'm not at home right now, but off the top of my head.
The modem is directly connected to my PC no other network, I think there are 3 cables in the back a USB, a power source and something else. I'll check when I get home about 5-30-6-00pm

The best security is layered so, irrespective of whether the adsl device has a hardware firewall built in, a software firewall on each device that connects to the network is a good idea.

... I've tryed to use PC tools but couldn't gain internet access, I'm not that techy, so when pop ups keep appearing asking me to allow or block certain application or files it freaks me.

Well if thats the case Comodo wont suit you and you should stick with windows firewall.

My partner does want a lap top for Christmas so don't know who that will effect things?

Well you'll either need a wireless router or another cable to connect the laptop up to the internet (assuming your modem has room if not you'll still need a router).

Wireless preferred for laptop, as intend to lock her away in a room at the back of the garage ;)
Modem info:
scientific atlanta (webstar)
EPC2100 series
cable modem
date of manufacture 12/04
ports with cables are
12v power supply
USB
RF cable suppling signal

Wireless to my current set up or when Santa brings the Laptop.
I do remember when we first moved into the property about two years ago, wireless was recommended by the installer, but didn't seem to work so had a direct feed to PC installed.

You'll need a wireless router then. Which has the benefit of having a hardware firewall in it.

This!

Plus, as you say prentice, wireless can be iffy if there are things that can block the sighnal. Howeverin most cases you should be ok.

I've used Linksys WRT54GS cable modem wireless router for 5 years now, as have a lot of others and they are very good. Recently replaced mine with a wireless 'draft N' Netgear.....and its nowhere near as good :(
You should be able to pick one up 2nd hand for about £20-£30.

Sponsored Links
Back