Firewall Confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My desktop Pc (XP), has Avira Premium, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware for security.

On my control panel, if I open the Windows Firewall icon, it says that my firewall is turned off.

However, if I open the Security Centre icon on the control panel, it says that firewall is turned on.

Does this mean that my computer is using another firewall, or is something amiss? How do I find out which firewall is being used?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the pc is using the Avira Premium firewall and that one has switched the builtin windows firewall off.

It's normal for Avira to turn off Windows Firewall. I wouldn't worry too much about it. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have too much security. Eventually your machine is going to bog down.

Care to explain where you get the idea that the OP has too much security!

He has Avira Premium running which covers Firewall, realtime antivirus and realtime antimalware/spyware. Not too much in my opinion.

All security software is less than 100% perfect, so a couple of additional scanners, in this case MBAM and SAS, just to run an occassional scan to be on the safe side in case something gets passed Avira, is quite normal.

Posting scare tactics about "his machine is going to get bogged down" does not help anyone.

MBAM and SAS stay shut down until required to run a scan, so do not bog down any computer.

dave

Back