First attempt at a bathroom (possibly)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm considering renovating my daughters bathroom whilst she is away in Oz for 3 weeks.

I've completed a kitchen in the past with little problem and am feeling that it should be within my capabilities. before I even suggest the idea to her I want to make sure I'm as mentally prepared as possible.

The house was built around 30-35 years ago. It is a typical 6 x 6 bathroom with an internal soil stack (toilet, sink, bath with electric shower).

The room is fully tiled and I suspect that there are tiles on tiles?

My thoughts are just rip it all out, I don't believe there is scope to change the layout (nor need to change) and instal new suite and fully tile with PVC ceiling.

To the questions....

Would it be simpler to go right back and remove all plasterboard? If yes do I use plasterboard or is there a better material to consider?

There seems to be a wide choice of standard of bathroom suites, I know when we had our bathrooms replaced we were advised to stay away from Chinese stuff as it is complete carp, part of me wonders how true this is and who is recommended as a good standard (not necessarily flash) supplier?

Should I just go for a mixer shower or stay with electric?

Tiles or wall panels? Thinking here is 1) cost, 2) low maintenance, 3) ease of fitting

Are there likely to be changes in pipework dimensions?

Any thoughts on push fit over conventional copper pipework?

With flexible pipe, does there tend to be movement when water turned on shut off? If yes what do I need to consider?

Any thoughts and advice is welcome and hope I'm not asking too much in one go.

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
Shower depends on what boiler you have , combi or conventional with hot water tank ?
Plastic pipe is easier for diy as well as push fit, if I use then I test before concealing.Clip pipe as movement can cause push fit joints to walk off the pipe if you get sudden high pressure change in flow.
I fitted shower panel , much easier than tile ( and have not seen a tiled shower that didn’t have problems).
If you use panel make sure you get trim kit to ensure good seal at edges .
Bathrooms can be cheap and still fine , though avoid cheap plumbing , taps etc, they can fail in months .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back