Leaking partition in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIYers.

Right, bear with me, long(ish) story!

In our small bathroom we built a full height cupboard at the end of the bath, in the small space (700mm) left between the bath and the wall. The partition is basically a large panel which starts at the top of the bath, by the taps, and runs up to the ceiling, all supported by timber battens.

The panel is 15mm MDF, and is tiled on the bath side. There is a power shower fitted, with the pipework electrics running through holes in the tiles and panel. All good so far.

Over the years, water from the shower as run down the tiles and must have crept through gaps in the grout. Clearly, the MDF got soaked quickly and has become warped. On a couple of occasions I have tried removing the tiles, refitting them and renewing the grout - but because the panel has bowed and has some movement, the tiles just won't stay water tight. Also, it's hard to fix tiles securely to rotten wood! Ultimately, water leaks through the panel and out to the floor.

Now, clearly I need to do something about this. I don't want to completely rebuild the entire cupboard - but I could possibly renew the panel and fix it more securely to ensure there is no movement, then re-tile and grout. Not an ideal solution, but if I do it properly I'm sure it will last.

So, what kind of board should I use for the panel? Is any board more suited to bathroom situations?

Should I stick with MDF but add some kind of waterproof covering, and ensure I seal all the edges?

What about plasterboard? But I'm not sure that would be strong enough to handle all the fixings.

Any advice really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Bee - get rid of the MDF, check the structure below (your battens, etc.) is OK, skin with a cement board (Aquapanel or similar but not plasterboard - you can get this from Wickes and others), then tile. Use the correct Aquapanel fixings, not any old screws (they'll rust), and follow the product installation instructions. I suspect Wickes may even have a data sheet available at their website.

Many thanks for the suggestion chaps. I'll check it out, sounds like just the thing.

We live and learn!

Sponsored Links
Or you could replace with a single showel panel [laminated ply] which is waterproof and easier to clean than tiled surface.

yes aqua board is the safest and strongest solution but make sure it is well studded out with good batons, then screw some ply at least 6mm to the batons. then simply stick aqua board with silicon. run silicon gun in lines about 200mm apart for a completely water resistant wall it will last for ever

Shower cubicle board is what you need - it has a variety of nice finishes laminated onto marine play and it's very durable.

yes aqua board is the safest and strongest solution but make sure it is well studded out with good batons, then screw some ply at least 6mm to the batons. then simply stick aqua board with silicon. run silicon gun in lines about 200mm apart for a completely water resistant wall it will last for ever

Sorry, I only just saw this reply!

This method of attaching the Aquapanel would be much more convenient for me. Fixing the ply first, and then sticking the panel to the ply - much cleaner all round, and no special fixings required.

I have several tubes of Unibond 'No More Nails' - would this be appropriate for sticking the Aquapanel to the ply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back